Bearded Dragon Pissed please help!!!!! Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jachin

Hello, this morning I treated my bearded dragon Gurdsin with Betadine and water as usually to treat her tail rot. And out of no where her beard puffed out which is very unsual , then when I was done the treatment I was going in to pick her up and bring her back when her mouth opened wide every time I got close and this was the first time I was scared for my ****ing life . So I grabbed gloves just in case she would bite me and it took me 10 minutes to build up the courage to do it, should I bring her to a vet? Please help me I’m really concerned for my girl.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I think that Betadine is an iodine solution, and if you've ever put that on a raw cut, you know that it can sting. Maybe that's what happened here, in which case she was probably just reacting to it like they would to any kind of 'attack' in the wild. I would file this under the 'tough love' category if so. My dragons get PO'd at me when I have to give them medicine, but they get over it eventually :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You may have made it a bit to strong and, made him want to burn your house down.
Sounds like you might need to switch to raw honey instead.It won't burn and, it soothes the pain. It has natural antimicrobial and, antibiotic in it naturally and, on the plus side ...your dragon won't want to eat your face when you use it, LOL!!!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Gormagon":34fpyrhj said:
You may have made it a bit to strong and, made him want to burn your house down.
Sounds like you might need to switch to raw honey instead.It won't burn and, it soothes the pain. It has natural antimicrobial and, antibiotic in it naturally and, on the plus side ...your dragon won't want to eat your face when you use it, LOL!!!

I knew you could use honey for open wounds, but didn't think about it for tail rot. If that works, it'd definitely be a more soothing alternative to "liquid burn-y"!

Jachin

Original Poster
Maybe, but this seems serious. I came back from school and she was still pissed at me, I came back and her beard was still puffed out but it was orange. Then I went near her and it turned black and she started opening her mouth again. Im starting to panic alot, I hope its not serious but only time will tell if its just a personal thing and I made it to strong. Thanks for the advice about the honey tho ill try that later but I cant even pick her up im to fkin scared man, shes never bit me but I am truly worried.

Jachin

Original Poster
And I dont think its an open wound I could be wrong, but I think it was from her falling off my shoulder or onto the floor a couple times.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
You could get a pair of heavy leather work gloves and maybe offer her a treat like a hornworm when you come over to her cage. Just hold out your hand with the treat in it & let her decide what she wants to do. If she puffs up, just stay there motionless and let her do her thing until she realizes that you're not there to hurt her. If she takes the treat, walk away and repeat a little while later until she's desensitized to your presence again (may take a few days depending on why she freaked out). In the unlikely event she bites, the gloves should protect your fingers.

Does she show any other kind of distress, head bobbing, glass surfing, black bearding not related to your presence?

Jachin

Original Poster
No she has never done this before. I took her cave out too see her a little more and maybe strengthen our relationship lol. It’s been fine so far and I’ve been trying to get brownie points by feeding here. It seems fine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of the tail you could post since you mentioned her having tail rot?
Has she lost part of her tail?
I agree, it is possible that something hurt in the bath so she associates the pain with your for
some reason. Keep trying to work with her, it will eventually pass. You definitely can't show
fear though or she will think she's gotten the upper hand. LOL
Try to find a treat she likes so you can hand feed her to help.
As suggested, try raw, unpasteurized honey on the wound if you can, that helps expedite the
healing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom