Baby beardie lethargic among other things..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degausser

First of all, I've taken him (I refer to him as 'him', but 'he's' not developed enough to distinguish, yet) to the vet and they've done a fecal and found Coccidia, though I don't feel, based on how it was presented to me, that this is really his official diagnosis, more of a "well, let's try this". I was given a calcium supplement to give a drop every day, told to add night time heat in the form of the red heat bulbs (after seeing his home, it's a 40g breeder, so it's a bit large for him), food to force feed him every other day, and a dewormer that I gave for 3 days 2 weeks ago and started it again this weekend for 3 more days per the vet. I had asked about giving him a probiotic, and they said not to (not at all, was more like a 'not just yet'). This vet is an exotic animal vet and had great reviews.

I got him just after Christmas last year from petsmart (probably not the best place, but girlfriend bought him for me). I got him a heat lamp and florescent 10 uvb lamp (recently changed to the reptisun). I've used these forums (among other places), to ensure I've been feeding him ok and providing an adequate terrarium. He's never really had much of an appetite, but after a couple of weeks, he was eating ok. I did notice he wasn't really growing, but chalked that up to me seeing him every day making it difficult to notice. Then, one day out of no where, I dropped some crickets into his enclosure and noticed something odd when he ran for them: he wasn't using his hind legs. He was sort of hobbling. I thought he may have had an impaction, so I started giving him a couple of warm baths a day to help stimulate his bowels. Later, I had noticed he was pooping, so I took him to the vet.

It's been about 3 weeks since we've been to the vet and there's been no improvement. He's lethargic and can barely stay awake, even when interacting with him. He fights me (quite well, actually, to the point where he can tell when it's force feed time and he tries to get away) when I try to med or feed him. I put him on his basking log and he sometimes slides off. It seems his back legs are still having issues, though I have seen him use them, but he primarily hobbles. He does still eat crickets, but only sometimes. He does drink water from his bath, probably every other day. I had changed his uvb bulb to the reptisun hoping it was an issue with the other one I got (only had a few months). I was giving him greens and carrots, but he doesn't touch them, they just crisp up (he doesn't move much, so I don't put them on the cool side for now). Doc said he weighed 1/3 what he should, based on his age and he's quite small for being, probably, 4 months old. He looks like a baby, but is a juvenile. His lighting is good (distance, proper bulbs, infrared temp gun readings) based on information here and other sources. Basking spot is ~100 F. Floor is ~85 F. Substrate is paper towels. He primarily stays at the bottom and will move down (sometimes slides down...) to the floor of his habitat, though, I have seen him climb up to get some heat, but that's rare.

I think I got everything. Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Only exception is I added a dual lamp with 2 red heat bulbs.

102553-5612479034.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- please post pics of your tank and lighting--- do you still have that red bulb in tank? thanks Karrie

Degausser

Original Poster
I updated my post with an image. Yes the night time heat lamps are still there, just not in the image.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red bulbs-- that is part of your issue-- it can hurt their eyes and cause long term damage--- next the UVB -- we on the forum recommend this ---Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
I would recommend you do this ASAP-- this a big reason your little guy is not growing or having no appetite-- UVB is crucial and I am guessing this is why hes walking funny---- his tank looks a little bare--- but w/ him walking funny now he could have the start of MBD--- you can use a reg Household bulb like 60 watt to light up the cool side of your tank -- but I would get the UVB replaced if you already dont have one of the bulbs mentioned -- the Reptisun T8 will fit into the reg fixture you have ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good but you aren't using the red bulbs are you? The UVB needs to go inside your tank--- the T 8 needs to be 6-8 inches from him-- I would start there-- look on your bulb and see if it's the HO--- and please you need a white basking bulb --- no colored
Karrie

Degausser

Original Poster
I'm using a reptisun basking light (100w? Not sure, it gets his spot to the right temps in any case). I planned on trying to move the UVB lamp to another spot. Thanks for your suggestions.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He needs no lights on at night-- it disturbs their sleep
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom