Yellow Fungal Disease?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writeya

I think my bearded dragon has advanced YFD. But I don't know what to do because she's estimated as either 10 or 11. She has had a poor appetite since she was a baby apparently. So she's quite thin.

Would she even be able to get a procedure done if she's so old and weak?!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I hope at her age, she doesn't have yellow fungus. :(
How long has this been going on, the fungal suspicions?
Do you have any pictures of her that we could see, to help with confirmation?
If you do suspect yellow fungus & it is that far advanced, I would recommend getting a skin
culture to help with diagnosis.
As far as going through a surgical procedure at her age, it might be questionable if she's in
poor health, yes. The vet would need to decide on that based on her blood profile, current
weight, hydration status, etc.

Tracie

Writeya

Original Poster
Drache613":2fnlnlzf said:
Hello,

Oh I hope at her age, she doesn't have yellow fungus. :(
How long has this been going on, the fungal suspicions?
Do you have any pictures of her that we could see, to help with confirmation?
If you do suspect yellow fungus & it is that far advanced, I would recommend getting a skin
culture to help with diagnosis.
As far as going through a surgical procedure at her age, it might be questionable if she's in
poor health, yes. The vet would need to decide on that based on her blood profile, current
weight, hydration status, etc.

Tracie
Her weight is extremely bad as she tends to starve herself every so often. Her hydration isn't that great, either. I combat that with regular baths, spray bottles, and water I squirt in her mouth.

Since she's a rescue she has quite a few problems. MBD, very bad shedding, she's been eating nothing but lettuce for like 6 years, as that's all her previous owners gave her. I've got her eating 5-10 worms a day, and I've helped her bad depression she had since I rescued her. So she's a better weight but still very thin.

She's had the patches for quite awhile. It happened right after a shed so I thought it was just shed for a long time :'(
It's been weeks and weeks.

It's starting to spread and go black so that's why I'm so sure its YFD

https://imgur.com/a/jqzFMjx

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that looks more like an uneven patch of shed which is very common in older dragons, they can hang on for months. The darkest spot in the middle is the only thing that looks just slightly off but that's not a definite I.D. of Y.F either. Just put antifungal cream like Lamisil on her daily, if nothing else it will keep the area moisturized and help the shed patch to come off. She's doing pretty well for 11 years old. They never eat large meals at that age + may skip days in between so that's not a problem at all. What type of worms do you feed her ?

Writeya

Original Poster
AHBD":1nv8vhhs said:
Hi there, that looks more like an uneven patch of shed which is very common in older dragons, they can hang on for months. The darkest spot in the middle is the only thing that looks just slightly off but that's not a definite I.D. of Y.F either. Just put antifungal cream like Lamisil on her daily, if nothing else it will keep the area moisturized and help the shed patch to come off. She's doing pretty well for 11 years old. They never eat large meals at that age + may skip days in between so that's not a problem at all. What type of worms do you feed her ?

She likes wax worms the best and because they're so fatty they help with her weight. But I also feed her mealworms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't look like yellow fungus to me, either. It is likely a patch of old skin which is
getting ready to shed.
Mealworms are ok, but not terribly nutritious. Try silkworms or hornworms for a much better
protein & nutrition value. Superworms are ok too especially when combined with crickets or
roaches.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom