Help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayla102103

My bearded dragon stopped eating a lot and shedding about 3/4 months ago but he still likes to run around a lot.Hes also loosing weight .He only eats about like 1 superworm a day. He’s only about 6 months old. I’m very concerned and worried. Does he probably have parasites or ?????

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of tank and lighting --- it has everything to do w/ their behavior eating and digesting food thank Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a coil? If it is here is some info on that Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- my guess its the UVB thats causing the behavior-- I would get it changed out ASAP --- start there and watch his behavior --- you should notice a difference right away
Karrie

Kayla102103

Original Poster
KarrieRee":23ig87r5 said:
The UVB is a coil? If it is here is some info on that Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- my guess its the UVB thats causing the behavior-- I would get it changed out ASAP --- start there and watch his behavior --- you should notice a difference right away
Karrie

I changed out the uvb about 3/4 months ago because the other one broke, that’s when it stopped eating a lot and shedding. It’s 10.0 uvb and it’s ZooMed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am assuming it's a Reptison? Is the UVB inside the tank or on top? What are basking temps and how are you taking them?
Karrie

Kayla102103

Original Poster
KarrieRee":7rqoq8oz said:
I am assuming it's a Reptison? Is the UVB inside the tank or on top? What are basking temps and how are you taking them?
Karrie

The uvb is on top of the tank and the basking temperature is about 90-110

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the screen on top is it fine mesh or wide hole? The reason I ask is because if it's fine mesh it's filtering out alot of those rays-- so you would need to put inside the tank--- also usually when they she'd they can stop eating but not for months---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I forgot to ask if it's a T 8 or a T 5? The difference is the strength of bulb--- also babies like temps a little warmer-- but yours might be ok--- beings he's 6 months--- T5 has a flat fixture where the T 8 has a regular fixture
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Your UVB bulb is a subpar (coil type) unit sold at pet stores only for profit not for your dragons benefit. Even the reptisun (Screw-in) bulbs are to weak through screen at that distance. The Screw-in type bulbs are known to cause eye irritation, eye infections and, blindness in some cases. Can also lead to lethargy and, loss of appetite. Good UVB boosts their metabolism and, an active metabolism is what they need.

My suggestion would be to get an entirely different UVB set up. Go for the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or an Arcadia T5 12%D3 and, put the fixture under the screen top to get the maximum desired effect. A 24" light for that Viv will do fine.

PS. Just remember when ordering the Reptisun T5 unit, you have to order the 10.0 seperately as it comes with a 5.0 which is Not Strong Enough!!!

trisharg

Is the Reptisun the long tube version? That is the one you want. I know they make a compact 10.0 but it is not so good.

This the one you want -
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptisun-100-ho-t5-uvb-lamp-24-w-22-l-2214264?cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop-_-45902100614-_-A&kpid=go_943958602_45902100614_224324358714_pla-549846757882_c&scid=scplp2214264&sc_intid=2214264&utm_config=tad0iunwp&utm_campaign=PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9YK2gyrYSxhOI9xbvFyFQTMqcsgSLiTazM7eucHcJ5uw6HW57787wRoCNioQAvD_BwE (This is the cheapest place I have seen this fixture. I just had to replace bulbs for 5 tanks so I was definitely looking for the best deal. They usually run about 23 or so.)

With this fixture - https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood-36-l (This is currently out of stock but is the cheapest now I have ever seen it. Usually runs 50-55 everywhere.)

The other option is to buy from Reptile Basics. Two of my tanks are set up with their fixtures and lamps. Their options are top rate as well. You will pay shipping but it still may be cheaper in the end.

The Fixture - http://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip-24/

The Bulb - http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

trisharg

The T5 bulbs are much stronger and you may be able to put it on top of the screen depending on how far away it will sit from the dragon. UVB can be so tricky. I don't have the exact stats off hand but I got the info from a facebook group called reptile lighting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom