Severely emaciated baby dragon/ probable mbd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while but just posted an update about my original Bearded who got me on here in the 1st place lol (who is doing great!)
My new little one came from similar circumstances.
Looks like I'm going for round two with this little guy. Very tiny maybe only about 4 to 5 inches long. Severely emaciated, extremely weakened in all limbs, not able to move or eat on his own. Right now he is in small Hospital cage type setup, Critter keeper on heat pad. About 70% of the cage is about 99° the other area (cooler spot) is about 72°. Over top of him I have a reptisun 5.0 strip light, about 8 inches away from him. It covers entire cage. Feeding Oxbow Critical Care five times a day. I've been doing that for two days. Just today I started to mix in some vegetable baby food. Can't believe he is still alive as the first night I brought him home he was so close to death every hour was touch and go.
Went to vet today and got calcium injection and fecal testing.
If anyone has any ideas of anything else I can be doing to help this little guy please PLEASE let me know!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How unfortunate for that tiny baby, they are so very fragile!
Based on what you are already doing, that should pretty much cover it! The critical care will
give him nutrition he needs right now since he probably isn't eating on his own I assume?
Are you also giving oral liquid calcium too?
Is the Reptisun 5 tube bulb mounted on top of the critter keeper without a cover so he gets
full exposure from the 8 inches?
Be sure he doesn't get overheated by using both a basking light & a heating pad underneath
of the critter keeper.
Keep up the great work! Post pictures when you can. I'm happy to hear your other one is doing
so well now.

Tracie

JerseyDragon123

Original Poster
Thanks for your response!
The UVB lighting is unobstructed by any screen or mesh or anything like that. Right now I am just using the heat pad, no basking lamp because he or she is so small.
And yes unfortunately he is not eating on his own at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He should have a basking lamp -- temp should be 100-110 for a baby -- he needs it they heat from the top not their tummys--- I would be getting one -- unless someone else here says different
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom