Discolored spots on beardie. Does anybody know what’s wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumayab

Mushu is my first pet, and I’ve had him since June of last year. He’s about a year and a half old and he’s never had any problems in the time we’ve had him. His set up is a 40 gallon tank with reptile carpet and he’s got his UVB light as well as a basking area. I usually feed him either collard greens or turnip greens, along with things like zucchini, apple, blueberries, carrots, and green beans on the side. I always research before actually giving him anything, and everything we get for him is organic. As for insects, I get him crickets and occasionally superworms, as well as dried mealworms. I give him baths once or twice a week, especially if he’s shedding or hasn’t pooped in a while. I also take him outside anytime it’s warm enough, and he’s generally active and likes to run around the house. Overall, he’s always been very healthy and happy.

About a day or two ago, I noticed that my bearded dragon had a strange discolored spot on the right side of his back. He’s shed multiple times since I got him, so I’ve come to recognize what his normal, healthy sheds look like, and this is something different. It seems to be a different color from anything I’ve seen when he sheds. Also, as I was looking at it today, I gently brushed my finger over it and it seemed to be draining some sort of cleanish-yellow liquid. He doesn’t seem to be in any sort of pain, nor has he been lethargic. He’s still eating normally and his poop/urate seems healthy and normal. Everything is the same except for the spots, but I’m worried it’s the beginning symptoms of something bad. Could it be just a bad shed? Or maybe a bug bite? Or is it a sign of something wrong internally?

;TLDR: My beardie was perfectly healthy and then suddenly had two pale yellow spots on his back that are leaking some kind of fluid. Does he need to see a vet or is it something I can treat at home?

I’m attaching some pictures in case anybody recognizes it. I’d really appreciate any advice, as I’m worried sick about him.

Here’s the pictures I took:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JsVxV_PbujoyRlWRNVQR2ZGrb_wA63of

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That doesn't look like anything really abnormal at all, looks like a bit of leftover shed. Are you sure you saw liquid coming from it or did Mushu possibly have a little wet spot, drop of water etc ?

sumayab

Original Poster
Thank you for your response; I’m hoping it’s just a leftover shed as well. He actually shed along that side a week and a half ago but I didn’t see the spot until two days ago. And I’m certain that the fluid was coming from the spot. I gave it a gentle squeeze while I was examining it and it caused more fluid to ooze out. Like I said before, it’s not causing him any pain.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those spots look normal to me, also. So you mentioned that fluid came out of that area?
If it appears that liquid is coming out of it, then maybe a scale or two has gotten infected or
came off prematurely. If it looks like an infection you could get some antibiotic ointment to put
on the area, or raw unpasteurized honey to help out if it's infected a little bit.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom