Suddenly Dead Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIPRamoth

Hello,

I'm at work and still really shaken by the sudden death of my baby so I apologise if it take me a long time to respond or I don't make much sense.

My dragon died today. Like an hour ago. I have NO idea what happened. As far as I knew she was happy and healthy. I'm going to take her to get her examined but I live in the middle of nowhere so it'll taje days to get there. I'm just hoping someone on here might be able to give me ideas to settle my mind a little. I can't take pictures because I'm at work. This is my first beardy death. Could it just be something age related? Or did my pet sitter or I screw up horribly!?

I just got back from a 4 day vacation where she was left with what I thought was a competent (and honestly still think that) pet sitter. Other than that nothing has changed recently.

She ate a salad everyday. Bugs in her salad everyother day. Heat and light was consistent, on a time, at the proper temps. Water dish and baths regularly. She was her usual happy active self even this morning. No signs of injury. No signs of anything like mites. Nothing feels broken. Nothing feels out of place or like a lump or blockage. She was six and I have had her since she was 1. Over the last month she has been eating less but still eating well and it's winter. She was living on a tile substrate with rocks and sticks to climb on.

Today she was happy looking and active. Mostly sunning. About an hour before I left for work she started looking lethargic. She climbed onto her favourite sunning spot and was a happy brite colour but she was holding her head a little low. Shortly before I left for work she slid off the sunning spot (which is how she normally gets down it's smooth so she likes to do it). I was doing dishes and getting ready for work. After a couple minutes I went back into the living room where her tank is and noticed she looked kinda like she was sleeping on the ground in the corner. When I picked her up she flopped in my hand totally lifeless. Eye partially open mouth open but barely. No breath no plus no pupilary response. Completely deflated looking. Rocking her, tapping, turning onto her back etc no response of any kinda. I even ran her under bath temp water for ages to see if I could get a response.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so sorry to hear about your baby----------- it just saddens me to hear of this--- to determine what happened what kind of lighting did you have in her tank? Lighting plays a big part in their health--- it is so hard to say and they hide their illness very well --- it is instinct
Karrie

RIPRamoth

Original Poster
What I buy depends on what is available in the store but it's always either exo terra or zoomed. She had a basking and sun light for day and a bulb for night heat as well. Different wattage depending on the time of year.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I really dont know - the only way to find out is to do a necropsy or something like that
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry to read about this, my condolences to you. :( Some dragons actually die from heart failure or other organ failure suddenly so that's a possibility or an aneurysm in the brain just as humans do. Another possibility is that she was eggbound and took a turn for the worse. So sorry, I know you're devastated.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I am so very sorry to hear of your dragons passing. I know all too well how you feel as my little guy passed today too. It is never easy and my heart is with you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gosh, I am so sorry for the sudden loss of your girl! :cry:
The only way to determine the exact cause of death is necropsy unfortunately. If you want to have
that done, you can wrap her up & place her in the refrigerator after a day or so. It's difficult to do this
I know, but you wont want too much degradation.
How old was she?
I am sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom