New baby bearded dragon with bad foot, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfbourbon

Hi,

I have bought a new baby bearded dragon 2 days ago, she is about 5/6 months old. Unfortunately she has some serious bruising on her foot due to being nipped by the other beardies she was with in the pet shop. We're not sure what to do about it, can anyone give me some advice please? I've attached some photos.

Many thanks in advance

101573-7553036324.jpg
101573-2206162839.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That definitely looks painful for your dragon. It is most likely necrotic so if you can get some
raw, unpasteurized honey to put on that area to try & keep it from getting infected. The toes
will probably fall off I am assuming since they are black now.
Does she use her foot to walk on right now?
That is unfortunately what happens when they are housed together. How is her appetite doing
since you brought her home?
You might want to consider taking her in to see a vet, if the affected areas seem to be getting
infected, etc.

Tracie

Elfbourbon

Original Poster
Hi,

Many thanks for your response.

Okay I will do that ASAP.

She has no trouble walking around on it, and she's eating perfectly normal and chasing the food around her viv. She's very active and alert. Okay I will keep an eye on it for a few more days then. Are there any signs I should be looking for that means I would need to get her to a vet ASAP?

Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today? I am glad to hear it hasn't seemed to slow her down from running
around. Just watch for darkness & or discoloration traveling upwards on the foot & towards the
ankle area which would indicate an infection.
If you can catch it early, then she will probably just lose the two affected toes & hopefully the rest
of the foot will be fine. She will be just fine missing a couple of toes though, no problem. The main
concern is just making sure that she doesn't get an infection developing.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Elfbourbon

Original Poster
Hi!

She is active and eating as expected. We bought some honey as you suggested and have put it on her foot today, so will keep doing this. Shes already missing one toe on her front right foot and she's got a stubbed tail, seems like she's been through the wars already!

Will keep you updated with any new developments.

Many thanks for your help!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's excellent she is active & doing well. I'm glad you were able to get some honey also &
are using it for her, that should help. She has definitely been through the mill but should be
completely fine! She has a great home now. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom