Baby beardie strange movements-mbd? Neuro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota314

Hi guys, wanted to get an opinion from you. We got a baby bearded dragon a little over a week ago. Since we got him, he has been walking and laying strange. When he walks, he basically trips over himself. He seems like he almost falls over when walking, but he is still able to catch crickets. Almost every day, I've caught him sleeping in a strange position- with his arms bent weird, or laying weird... tonight he was even laying upside down. My fiance saw him like that and poked him, and he opened his eyes like what..... and he flipped him over right away and he seems fine.... it's just strange to me. I'm not sure if this is MBD or something more neurological.. opinions?

He is in a 40 gallon breeder with tile. Temps are around 100 on the hot side and around 75 on the cool side during the day with a few light bulbs. At night temps are around 75 on the warm side with a CHE and around 70 on the cool side. He has a 10.0 fluorescent uvb bulb mounted in the tank. He is from petco.... they weren't using the fluorescents but the coils. Feeding him crickets every day dusted mostly in calcium, and we dusted in vitamins one of the days. He is very into eating crickets but shows no interest in fruits or veggies. He is pooping normally.

The way he walks makes me lean more toward a neuro issue, but I'm not sure if these are also common signs in mbd. I'm hoping if its mbd it will resolve since he is so little but I'm not sure. Attached are pics of the setup and of some of his strange sleeping habits. Thoughts? We have 30 days to take him to Petco vet, but wanted opinions first. If it's something neuro that he can live with that would be fine, I just want to make sure hes okay.

He isn't always sitting weird, and I put a pic at the end showing how he sometimes hangs out. He seems to freeze up when picked up and after being set back down. Not sure if this is normal for babies or not.

103537-2516308548.jpg
103537-5521663269.jpg
103537-8129670489.jpg
103537-4460998192.jpg
103537-8360806862.jpg
103537-9237203449.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That laying upside down is not normal and they cannot breathe- it looks like hes developing MBD --- but I am no expert!!!!!!!!!!! You need to PM TracieDrache613 our vet moderator or AHBD NOW w/ pics- but I would say he needs to go to a reptile vet --- is Petco's vet a reptile vet? What kind of UVB do you have in your tank?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom