Gave too much medication!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewies vet prescribed him panacur to treat him for his parasites for the next three weeks. It was one dose a week, and I accidentally just gave him all of it at once. It was only 0.3 ml. Is this going to hurt him??? Or just ineffective?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That medication doesn't tend to be too harsh, but that's a lot at once. I'd contact your vet for advice but in the meantime offer him plenty of water to drink to help him flush it through his system. Vet may advise using activated charcoal but that's usually best administered right away. Hopefully it will just pass through his system and not cause much issue but I'd hold off on further meds for a while.

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3r91nkf6 said:
That medication doesn't tend to be too harsh, but that's a lot at once. I'd contact your vet for advice but in the meantime offer him plenty of water to drink to help him flush it through his system. Vet may advise using activated charcoal but that's usually best administered right away. Hopefully it will just pass through his system and not cause much issue but I'd hold off on further meds for a while.

That's what I thought/read. I imagine he is just going to feel yucky for a few days. He doesn't drink water except on his food. I will keep a close watch on him. Any other advice or opinions are appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, at least it wasn't ivermectin or something more harsh than panacur. One thing you can
do is get some parsley, cilantro, basil, mint & oregano mixed together in a slurry. You can mix it
with water or diluted cranberry juice & give that a couple of times per day to try & detox his body
a little bit.
Is he eating anything right now?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":2qoirlza said:
Hello,

Poor guy, at least it wasn't ivermectin or something more harsh than panacur. One thing you can
do is get some parsley, cilantro, basil, mint & oregano mixed together in a slurry. You can mix it
with water or diluted cranberry juice & give that a couple of times per day to try & detox his body
a little bit.
Is he eating anything right now?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

It's been several days now and he's not even phased man. It just went right through him. I feel blessed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good to hear. He should be fine then. Fortunately, that med is relatively gentile. I'd still re-test a fecal sample as schedule but hold off on further meds for a while to give his system full recovery time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear he is doing so well & it didn't seem to affect him, thankfully! :D
Definitely I agree, I wouldn't give anymore meds right now though, as Cooper mentioned.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom