Change in behavior please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliHat

Hello my name is Alishea, I am new the beardie community and have some concerns. Two months ago I bought my son a bearded dragon along with a 20 gallon tank and full setup. Oden has been doing great and growing fast. Because of the change in his size, and 40 gallon tank going on sale, I upgraded his terrarium yesterday. With this change, I also changed the 100w heat bulb to a 150w. Nothing inside changed except a larger water bowl. Oden typically hangs out at the top of his wood log on the cooler side (in his first tank). After setting everything up yesterday he was basking for most of the day. This morning he was fast asleep on his log as usual. Once his lights were turned on and he woke he has been under his “U” log on the basking side and only came out to eat. He seems a bit on the grayish side as well. The basking temp is around 100° and the cooler side is about 83°. Could this just be from the stress of the move or should I be more concerned? We definitely love this little guy and want to keep him happy and healthy! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

May I also mention his position in the room also changed. He’s located in a spot where he can see everything around him whereas before he was in a corner on the other side of the door. I want to post pictures but I’m not sure how yet.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The 150 is to hot and, he is going through a bout with relocation stress. If you are counting on that dial thermometer for temps, it is getting air temps and, surface temps are much higher. You need to switch back to the 100 or even lower (maybe a 75). You need to invest in an infrared heat gun (not very expensive at lowes) to get proper temp readings. I can almost promise you the surface of the log is closer to 130, this will also bring the cool side down to a good level as well.
The UVB light needs to be next to his basking light and, if that light has a plastic cover Remove it ASAP (plastic blocks UVB)!!!
I heat my entire 4x2x2 viv with one 75w bulb!!!

AliHat

Original Poster
Gormagon":10oi5inh said:
The 150 is to hot and, he is going through a bout with relocation stress. If you are counting on that dial thermometer for temps, it is getting air temps and, surface temps are much higher. You need to switch back to the 100 or even lower (maybe a 75). You need to invest in an infrared heat gun (not very expensive at lowes) to get proper temp readings. I can almost promise you the surface of the log is closer to 130, this will also bring the cool side down to a good level as well.
The UVB light needs to be next to his basking light and, if that light has a plastic cover Remove it ASAP (plastic blocks UVB)!!!

Oh ok I thought the UVB needed to be on the opposite side ?! I appreciate that. I will move it to the other side now (no plastic cover) and will definitely get an infared gun as well! I do have a new 100w bulb (bought both just in case, good thing). Thank you!

AliHat

Original Poster
[/img]
Gormagon":1jagxcvi said:
103605-2322042622.jpg
103605-5480298460.jpg
103605-3900069194.jpg
103605-3941669446.jpg
103605-3360889368.jpg
Changed the bulb, moved the UVB, took him out for a while and he’s back to norm!!!! THANK YOU ?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You are most certainly welcome young man.
Sometimes it just take a few adjustments to get things right, glad it worked out my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom