My beardie won’t drink.

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

My beardie won’t drink.

Postby Janeyjet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Hello so my bearded dragon Arthur is refusing to drink water. I have a bowl of water for him in his tank, I also take him out and put water on his nose slowly and give him bathes. He used to drink when I would do this fine. But he recently stoped and is having a hard time pooping and I’m afraid getting dehydrated. Can someone help me.
Janeyjet
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: My beardie won’t drink.

Postby vrenee1018 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Have you tried giving him hornworms? My beardie does the same thing. I just make sure her food is well hydrated so she gets her hydration from then. Hornworms are mostly water and they also help will pooping.
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
vrenee1018
Hatchling Poster

Postby Janeyjet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:38 pm

How big should be though to give him those. My beardie is only 6 months old. He’s about 13 inches
Janeyjet
Newbie Poster

Postby Aaradimian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 am

Does your beardie eat greens much? If so she might be getting enough water from them. One trick I have used to get mine to drink is to run the tap a bit while they are in the bath or sink. The sound of running water seems to trigger their urge to drink better than just being in the water.
Aaradimian
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby vrenee1018 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:04 am

Janeyjet wrote:How big should be though to give him those. My beardie is only 6 months old. He’s about 13 inches

I believe he's big enough to eat them. If it's still winter where you are, they should be relatively small right now. When they get bigger than your thumb, then it's probably too big for you little one. But like Aaradimian said, if he's eating greens, he should be getting enough from those alone. But the pooping can also be helped by feeding him some prune or pumpkin baby food with a little bit of olive oil mixed in.
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
vrenee1018
Hatchling Poster

Postby Gormagon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am

Dragons will seldom drink from standing water, it is very odd if they do. They get their hydration from the bugs and greens they consume. You can try dripping water in the tip of his nose and, he might lick it off that way.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Janeyjet » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Thank you so much! I will definitely do that. Wow I can’t wait till I am as smart about everything with bearded dragons as you guys on here.
Janeyjet
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:13 pm

If he is eating greens you can wash them before giving them so they are moist-- that way you know he is getting water
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER