My baby won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

acmdrn

I purchased a bearded dragon from a pet store so I don't know exactly how old he is. I think he is 2-3 months old. I have had him for 5 weeks. He is 7 inches and 14 grams. I took him to the vet a week ago (2/19) to have his tail looked at. The vet determined it was a tail injury and not tail rot. He said otherwise he looked good. Initially he was eating about 8 crickets per day, offered greens, veggies and fruit but he would not eat them and now for the last week after the vet visit he won't eat. In the last week he has only eaten a few crickets and about 3 worms. He will drink water from a spray bottle and is still active when out of his cage. In his cage he mostly sits on his basking log. He has also been having loose watery poop. I'm not sure what to do next.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review the type/brand of UVB, temperatures, supplementation & foods given so we
can be sure the setup is correct.
He is a youngster so he should be eating quite a bit right now. Do you have any pictures of
him along with the tank we could see also?
Does he have a tail injury?

Tracie

acmdrn

Original Poster
Hello,
He is currently in a 28 gallon tank 30L x 12w x 18h. I have a reptisun t5 10.0 for a little over a week now, its not what I started with. The light is on top of a screen in a reptisun t5 ho hood. He sits on his branch which is 8 inches away from the lights. He has a zoo med white 100w basking light. Basking temps 100-106 measured with a digital probe thermometer. At night the temp gets 65 - 67. I dont think it drops below 65. I'm not sure of the ambient temps on the side because I need to purchase some more thermometers.
He mostly stays up on the branch or hammock. Humidity is 35-40. We give him calcium powder 5 days a week and vitamin powder 2 days a week. Initially we were feeding him dusted small crickets(gut loaded) and offered veggies but he would not eat the veggies. The vet fed him a few small mealworms. What I have read is that babys should not eat mealworms so I'm confused about this. He continues to poop, its watery with white urate so I don't think he's impacted. I took his stool in on 2/26 and it was negative for parasites. On 2/26 I got him some black fly worms and wax worms. He has not eaten the wax worms and has had about 2 or 3 of the other. He does have a tail injury. Its the last inch of the tail and it has not progressed any further. Its dried up and looks like it will fall off soon. He has had 1 complete shed since we have had him. I do have pics I will try to find the way to upload them.
Thanks Amanda

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Amanda the T5 should be placed inside your tank approx 10-11 inches from where he sits - the screen is filtering out the rays of the bulb- you can use fishing wire -- picture hanging wire or maybe some 3M hooks --- I would invest in a Infrared Heat gun from Walmart or Home Depot - thats going to give you more accurate basking temps-- can you post pics of his tail so Tracie can look at it-- thanks
Karrie

acmdrn

Original Poster
Hi,
So now I am really confused on the lighting. I have read many post on here that says the reptisun t5 ho 10.0 uvb can sit ontop of the screen. Its not a fine mesh screen either.
Thanks Amanda

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yea I am not sure about that screen it might be possible to have it sit on top ---- someone else will haft to weigh in on this one but for now I would go ahead and get it and we can see what some one else says about mounting it-- if you get a T 8 it will haft to go inside the tank as the bulb is not strong enough -- only the T 5's are the stronger ones
Karrie

acmdrn

Original Poster
I have a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 currently. I have been using this one for 1.5 weeks. We just tried to mount the ubv light and hood under the screen with wire but there is not enough room for the heat lamp now. The heat lamp was overlaping the hood and I dont want it to burn the top of it.
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so if you have the heat bulb on top of screen and UVB inside there isn't enough room? Heat bulb should be sitting in back of tank and UVB in front-- one on top one inside-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can also put the UVB on the far side of tank running along the back if it goes on top but beings if you put it inside I wouldnt think it would be a problem-- I will post a pic of my tank granted mine is a little different and a lot bigger
97951-1410759176.jpg
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom