Baby bearded dragon wont eat or shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I got a baby bearded dragon 2 months old. Got him from reptile city, who was not supposed to even send me a bearded dragon, 2 months later I get an e-mail saying "we will refund your money" then the next day I get an e-mail saying oh by the way he is on his way to you right now. So I am panicking because I have nothing for this guy to thrive in and ended up getting a 20 gal. Tank and a dome for $50 from some creepy guy on craigslist, that was fun...anywho it is FREEZING temperatures right now and my mailman just SHOVES the box in my mailbox and it was hell to get it out...when I opened up the box (he was in a tub in the box) I thought he was not alive...was not moving at all for almost a minute then slowly opened his eyes. Also his stomach was LITERALLY PAPER THIN!!
I got him 2 eat 2 small crickets and 1 mealworm on his own. After that first day though, he stops eating for almost 2 days before I started to force feed him. Fed him crickets with calcium powedered on them and he started throwing them up and constantly pooping. He kept nothing in his belly, so I started to puree his food with crickets, calcium, kale, strawberries, pellets packed with the nutrients they need. Just anything. And its definately working... He is getting a bit more plump now and has not thrown up since and is more welcoming to me feeding him through a syringe..thing.
What I am concerned about is he isn't eating on his own (food is always there in his tank) and he is not shedding at all and he barely moved from his basking area.
His basking area is at about 103° right now and yes it is a UV light. I have never had to deal with a baby bearded dragon and I am just worried I am doing everything wrong...how do I get him to eat on his own and why isn't my baby growing :'(
I have had him for a little over 2 weeks now. He loves being held, doesent want me to ever put him down, I do have a 6 month old female bearded dragon but in a seperate tank about 6 feet away from his tank and 2 leapord geckos also in seperate tanks but right next to him. Could that be a possible issue?
Please anything helps. I want the best for my baby and I am so worried about him...also I am having to give him water through a syringe thing as well so he is well hydrated and spray mist on him once a week, there is a water bowl in his tank as well but I am worried because I found him sleeping in it when I got home from work and about had a heart attack when I saw that, he just has no energy or motivation to move unless if I am holding him, I don't understand.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell us what kind of UVB you have--- he may not make it--- he could be sick w/ the cold weather - please post pics of his tank and him --- I am hoping one of the others chime in on this - he could have relocation stress its hard to say -- please no more meal worms they are too hard on his digestion - he should be eating small crickets depending on how big he is I am assuming hes really small - but please post pics --- go to top of page click on user image up loader- down load pics - click on reply at top of message box click on XIMG -- pics should down load
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
pics didnt post-- if hes eating the pureed food that is good - I would concentrate on the bugs -- my guess he was weak from his adventure to your house and cold -- if hes basking under the light that is good- but you need a good UVB light - like this a Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T5 light fixture also. The 20 gallon tank will be ok for a while but being you have another dragon you know how fast they can grow- the geckos would not freak him out but he should or the other one shouldnt see your little one --- you can try and see if he will go after the crickets on his own -- relocation stress is gonna have a lot to do w/ his behavior- but if hes eating what your feeding him and your giving him water by syringe and hes taking it he should start to gain his strength back I would think -- but you need a good UVB for him - thats gonna help him digest food -- I am hoping some one else has better ideas than I ---- you can PM Tracie Drache613 shes out vet moderator and tell her what happened
Karrie

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
I don't remember what UV light he has, I had originally got the UV light from Reptopia a local reptile shop here for Yunalesca, I switched because I did not have full faith and trust in the light bulb that was sold to me from creepy craigslist guy. The Next day I bought Yunalesca an 80W Powersun UV bulb from petco, I spend literally my last penny just getting that light bulb so she doesen't suffer either.
How do I tell what kind of bulb it is if I already threw the box away? The people who own the reptile shop said it was the best of the best for my bearded dragon.

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
Also, he does not go to the crickets on his own, though they,re in his tank (just 2 small ones) just in case.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The tank looks good --- do you have a UVB now ? If not you need to get one ASAP --- thats going to help w/ digestion and his health all the way around -- he looks good from what I can see -- but the growth will come w/ the UVB--- dont leave crickets in his tank -- they bite and can cause injury -- do you have access to dubia roaches ? I would try those dusted w/ calcium d3 and vitamins as well --- he may like them better and actually better for him -- they tend not to give parasites -- you can also order them on line - try Amazon.com and search dubia roaches -- suppliers offer free shipping -- look on Amazon for the UVB as well --- they are spendy --- but he does need a good UVB --- I have never heard of the UVB you have --
Karrie

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
I have been feeding him live crickets but I have to force him to eat them, he eats about 3-10 crickets a day now, it takes a lot of time to get him to eat even that much, so when I have no time (I am a busy person with full time work, full time school full time study and military) I feed him with the blended foods.

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
I will take the crickets out of his tank now, yes he has a UVB light and petco is always out of the roaches i keep looking and asking for them to get more :(
I am hoping they will have more roaches by the time I get paid for Zaon

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
103535-9595376057.jpg
This is the one I am using for the 6 month old bearded dragon not the 2 month old one, it was the only one I could afford at petco until I get paid.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have never seen that UVB --- please invest in the ones I posted -- you can order dubia roaches on line-- check out Amazon.com search dubia roaches and suppliers offer free shipping --- you will need to have them held at post office so you can get them - we dont want them sitting in your mail box -- you can also get the UVB from these suppliers reptilesplus.com or lightyourreptiles.com--- petco may have the Reptisun 10 T 5 or T 8 in the store - you will also need the light fixture
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please keep us posted on how he is doing --- the better UVB will change his behavior
Karrie

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
103535-95149498.jpg
I have had this for a while now but the bulb blew out, someone told me not to use it that it was not good for them, is this true?
If it is good for them, what whattage should it be at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom