Baby bearded dragon wont eat or shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that your baby had such a rough start. The shipping in cold weather while he was not in good condition took a toll as well as the force feeding which was too much for him to handle at the beginning. You've done a GREAT job since then though with the smoothies and giving him a chance to slowly recupe. The Powersuns are decent heat + uvb all in one but the bulbs Karrie mentioned will boost his uvb. That one is not the strongest [ the fixture is good for the Reptisun 10.0 t8 ] He'll get the most benefit if you attach it under the screen like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

Attach with picture hanging or other similar wire.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So you have a hood- how long is it? You can get a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 - take hood w/ you to store look for bulb the length of hood- the T 5 may not work but it looks like a T 8 will make sure bulb cover is off just the light bulb in there--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok good so you have a hood-- how long is it? You can go get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb - they need to be changed out every 6 months and it will need to be placed inside the tank -- a T 5 bulb requires a special hood I believe-- make sure the cover is off of bulb when you put it inside the tank -- the T 8 isnt as strong as a T 5 ---
Karrie
oops this got posted twice sorry

LadieMaiden

Original Poster
That is okay, I had no idea I needed it on the inside, I'll be looking into replacing the bulb then come payday, thank you! :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It will be fine at up to 10-11" away. That number 6" has been passed around as the gold standard but it doesn't need to be quite that close.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AHBD":6qhvg61s said:
It will be fine at up to 10-11" away. That number 6" has been passed around as the gold standard but it doesn't need to be quite that close.

The 80w PowerSUN is OK and does provide UVB. It should sit about 8-10'' above the basking area for best results. It can be tough to control the heat properly when using an all in one bulb like that though. 103 is a good basking surface temperature so if the bulb is within about 8-10'' then it's good.

As far as the T8 fixture goes, a ReptiSun 10 T8 bulb for it will work. Just be sure to remove the plastic cover from in front of the bulb if it's not already removed since that will intercept UVB. The T8 with a fixture like that provides OK output at 6'' but not great. The output drops off quite a bit beyond about 8'' which is where that number range comes from. It's based on testing I've done with that light combination. At 10-11'' away it is only providing shade levels of UVB.

76248-1418777672.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom