Seller - MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avectaso

I have an adult male beardie and it seems he isnt doing well. The seller recalled he saved him because he was frozen and left out. He didn't have had a UVB bulb for a while and around 5-6 days hes in twitching state where he struggles to move as his arms are shaking. The seller only said they gave him food veggies and possibly insects and had heating pads but no UVB of any case

I recently got him and how awful i didn't ask more questions on how he is. Is there any way to support him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are pretty tough and can bounce back from rough situations but it takes some luck and care that is just right. Which UVB light did you wind up getting? It's important that he gets excellent levels of UVB as well as proper heat gradients. If he's having trouble moving around, keep everything fairly flat and easily accessible for now.

Has he been eating at all since you got him? Go easy on food for now and focus on hydrating him and getting him access to good lighting. Drip water on his nose to lick up and see if he will drink. If he does, that's a good sign. You can offer him baby food the same way. I've had good luck with sweet potato, green beans, and squash baby food. Since he's an adult, focus on veges and water for now. Getting him well hydrated, used to a basic diet and access to good lighting will give him the best shot.

avectaso

Original Poster
CooperDragon":32gl8spg said:
They are pretty tough and can bounce back from rough situations but it takes some luck and care that is just right. Which UVB light did you wind up getting? It's important that he gets excellent levels of UVB as well as proper heat gradients. If he's having trouble moving around, keep everything fairly flat and easily accessible for now.

Has he been eating at all since you got him? Go easy on food for now and focus on hydrating him and getting him access to good lighting. Drip water on his nose to lick up and see if he will drink. If he does, that's a good sign. You can offer him baby food the same way. I've had good luck with sweet potato, green beans, and squash baby food. Since he's an adult, focus on veges and water for now. Getting him well hydrated, used to a basic diet and access to good lighting will give him the best shot.
I believe he doesnt like it. I tried to give him a drop he tries to run away or as scared of it. I did on top of his nose sadly he didnt like and and didnt lick on it. Possibly hes in a new home since i recently got him. I tried to give him superworms he didnt have an interest. His lighting is a Powersun 160W though some controversial things i might need to get an UVB bulb.

Though when i try to drip some he CAN walk but hardly. He can stand a bit more up

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Be patient with him, poor guy is getting used to a good home and it may take a bit. Visiting a vet is also a good idea to get a baseline for things like weight, calcium levels, bone density etc. The 160w Powersun should sit about 10-12'' above the main basking area for proper UVB output. That may not provide proper temps at that range though so it's important to test the surface temps. If you aren't getting the right temps you may want to reserve the PowerSun as a travel or outside the tank basking spot and use a T5 tube for UVB so you can adjust UVB and heat independently. You want him to have a basking surface around 100-105 or so with a gradient down to around 75-80 on the other side with some spots between that in the 90s.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy! That is too bad, I hope that he pulls through for you.
As suggested, a T5 tube would be an excellent addition for higher quality UVB for him. You
could use the Powersun in combination with that if it is placed properly & still get to the correct
basking temperatures, no problem. Or, just as a secondary outside of the tank & get a halogen
to be used with the T5. I have found that the MVB's are great used with T5 tubes, they give a
nice balance.
Definitely go slow with him on his eating, in case his kidneys aren't 100% right now.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of him + of his set up ? Poor thing is in bad shape, did you get him from Craigslist ? I wonder if the story about being left in the cold was made up to cover for the seller's neglect ? I hope you didn't pay too much , the seller should have been giving him to a good home instead of selling him. But who knows what the real story is. Anyway you've been given good advice, other than that just be patient . Get some liquid calcium and Reptaboost for him, many dragons enjoy that. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today, did he eat anything for you today?
Please keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom