Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon is about a year old or so.

40 Gallon Tank
Paper Towel Bottom
100W Zoo Med Basking Heat Light
10.0 Repti Sun Strip
Eats Greens and Crickets

The lizard has been very healthy since I got him, very active and healthy appetite.

I noticed after feeding him meal worms he was not pooping too much and didn't poop for a week and began slowing down a lot. Almost to the point where he really would not move. A few days ago I feed him pumpkin and gave him a bath and he pooped a great deal out. I figured that was the problem as he perked up the new few day. Now he is back to doing nothing, just laying around. I got another can of pumpkin to try and give him today. I can't afford to take him to a vet.

Looking for any help as I feel its the last desperate attempt.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of staple food are you feeding him? Any greens? Like mustard collard green bean squash? The meal worms are too harsh-- young beardies should not have them - only for adults- he should be eating dubia roaches or crickets I recommend dubias -- better for them and they tend to not give parasites / worms -- for treats you can give them supers and in his case only 1-2 or butter worms horn worms 1-2 they are fattening-- do you have good lighting in your tank? What kind do you have ? Please post pics of your tank and your beardie-- we can see better and help out as well after what is seen.
thanks Karrie

EddieMaher

Original Poster
Staple food is Collard Greens, with squash. I will mix in other greens on occasion. He eat mainly crickets and has ate roaches in the past just not as frequently. He is over a year old close to probably 1 1/2 years so I consider him an adult.

Light are 100w Zoo Med Basking with UV and ReptiSun 10.0 strip light, everything has been the same since I got him. He was thriving and growing very fast.

I am going to mix pumpkin again with some olive oil to see if he will eat it and then give him another bath tonight.

I am looking for last hope desperation attempts as I do not think he will last much longer. What would you try feeding?? bath temp? stomach rubs??

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
At that age they tend to slow down a bit. Could be what is referred to as Semi-bermation. Instead of actually sleeping for 3 months they just get lazy.
Mealworms are not a good choice for a staple food. They can cause impaction and we don't want that.
Is your UVB a t5 or t8?

EddieMaher

Original Poster
At that age they tend to slow down a bit. Could be what is referred to as Semi-bermation. Instead of actually sleeping for 3 months they just get lazy.

Will they do this even if there are no temperature changes in the house? How would I know this is whats going on? Would he eat at all?

He only had the worms on two occasions. However, the issues only started after he ate them so I figured he was impacted. After he pooped in the bath (was a lot) I figured he was gonna get better straight away as he seemed more active and alert.

Is your UVB a t5 or t8?

ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO 22 Reptile Lighting Fluorescent Tube, its approx a year old. I thought the bulb was bad so I changed it with the one that came with the fixture 5.0 last week. No changes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There it is -- 5.0 -- not high enough you need to get a T 5 back in it or T 8 --- if its a T 8 goes inside the tank --- T 5 can be on top of screen IF its a screen w/ bigger holes -- if its fine screen inside the tank--- change out the bulb and then see if his behavior changes
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am bad thinking of something else---- so its a T 5 back in there now--- where is it on top of tank or inside?
Karrie

EddieMaher

Original Poster
I am bad thinking of something else---- so its a T 5 back in there now--- where is it on top of tank or inside?
Karrie

Appreciate your replies I just do not think its the light. I can order a new one but I think he will be dead by the time it arrives.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You should get him into the reptile vet then ASAP if hes that bad
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
EddieMaher":2j47i8gk said:
Karrie

Appreciate your replies I just do not think its the light. I can order a new one but I think he will be dead by the time it arrives.
At a year old the UVB in the t5 10.0 has weakened.... yes the light needed to be replaced with another 10.0 the 5.0 is not strong enough.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Where is he laying around at? On his basking spot or someplace cooler? Is he black bearding at all? Sounds to me like he's starting to brumate but if you could post a pic it'll help us try and figure this out.

EddieMaher

Original Poster
I replaced both lights last night.. I also tried to feed him pumpkin, he just got up and walked away.

Where is he laying around at? On his basking spot or someplace cooler? Is he black bearding at all? Sounds to me like he's starting to brumate but if you could post a pic it'll help us try and figure this out.

He lays around away from the light. I think you are correct that he is brumating. He does occasionally puff out his beard and is darker.

He looks like other pics I have seen of lizards brumate.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
They hardly eat anything during bermation so this could be the case. Does he have a hide to get into?

EddieMaher

Original Poster
They hardly eat anything during bermation so this could be the case.

The occasional eating was very confusing to me, but now makes sense. I have seen him pick off a cricket here and there.

Does he have a hide to get into?

Yes, he has a cave and some fake plants he hides around. I have worried and trying a lot with him and probably just pissing him off. Gonna leave him alone for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom