Both eyes closed for most of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSixSided

Hey guys, Nova is 5 years old and never had previous health issues. He uses a reptisun 10 that's approximately 1.5 feet away plus a 75w zoomed basking bulb at 90-95 degrees

Today I observed that he would not open either eye more than a squint. I pet him and no changes, even during a bath he only opened them for a few seconds. Same thing happened when i gave him water via squirt bottle and some silk worms, only opened them briefly then closed. They also seem a bit bulgy so I'm unsure if he may be going through a shed but I cant ever remember him doing this in the past. I do not see any discharge. Let me know what it could be please.

Here are some photos from today: https://imgur.com/gallery/Gd3QcbX

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Nova isn't very active.
Can you review his tank setup a little more. What type of Reptisun 10 are you using, the long
fluorescent tube bulb T8, or a compact/coil light?
The distance of 14 inches is a good distance if it's a T8 tube or a compact/coil that is sitting on
top of a screen. Based on the pictures, his jaw looks like it may be becoming a little bit misaligned
perhaps, from developing bone disease. Can you post more pictures of him, along with your tank
setup too?
Are you using calcium supplementation for him also?

Tracie

TwoSixSided

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply Tracie,

It is the long tube t8 version with reflector on top of his 40 gallon breeder screen. Yes, I dust all food in rep cal herptivite and calcium. I believe his jaw has always looked similar, here are miscellaneous pics of him:
Nova https://imgur.com/gallery/ZNa6FN9

Drache613":16dbxab3 said:
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Nova isn't very active.
Can you review his tank setup a little more. What type of Reptisun 10 are you using, the long
fluorescent tube bulb T8, or a compact/coil light?
The distance of 14 inches is a good distance if it's a T8 tube or a compact/coil that is sitting on
top of a screen. Based on the pictures, his jaw looks like it may be becoming a little bit misaligned
perhaps, from developing bone disease. Can you post more pictures of him, along with your tank
setup too?
Are you using calcium supplementation for him also?

Tracie

TwoSixSided

Original Poster
Just an update. Woke up this morning and Nova had both eyes open and appeared normal. Didn't get to observe him for too long though, had to head to work.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great thanks. He may have had some calcium issue at some point, but doesn't look to
have any problem right now.
I would however, try to get that T8 tube mounted underneath of his screen at a 6-8 inch distance
from him. He would benefit from a stronger UVB output to help avoid calcium issues in the future.
So he had his eyes open today?
Let us know how he is doing, hopefully he is feeling better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom