Bearded Dragon hasn't pooped in 4 weeks!! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickj

My bearded dragon hasn't pooped in about 4 weeks and im getting really worried. I have been giving him bathes daily, I gave him squash, prunes, and olive oil with honey. I massage his stomach and his butthole every day too. All the temperatures and humidity are perfect as well as the UVB lights. What else can I do??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of UVB are you using? Even tho temps are good it might not be the correct UVB

Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have never heard of those --- please post pics of your tank and beardie--- go to top of page click on User Image Uploader down load pics - click on reply go to top of message box click on XIMG - pics should post thanks
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the coil UVB is probably why hes not going to the bathroom--- UVB plays a crucial part in their digestion system as well as their over all health- it prevents MBD-- This is the proper lighting you need
www.lightyourreptiles.com or reptilesplus.com
Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will
need a T5 light fixture also. Please get rid of the coil UVB -- You will need to put the UVB inside the tank depending on the screen on top -- it its a fine screen it needs to go inside if its more a bigger whole screen then probably on top --- the screen filters out a lot of the UVB he needs --
Karrie

Nickj

Original Poster
I will get some new UVB bulbs tommorow and let you know what happens. Thank you so much for your help, it has been very useful. I've only had this guy for about 6 months and sont want him to die so thank you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
destiny1998":8w00bddy said:
Hi. Those wood chips can cause impaction. I would use paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner.

I agree , wood chips are fine for some skinks , but are lethal to bearded dragons if they happen to ingest them. The wood chips MUST GO !!

Regarding impaction , 4 weeks is very long time between poos unless the dragon is in brumation. I think you need a reptile vet to check your dragon to make sure there is no blockage causing an impaction , xrays will show this instantly. I'd take vet advise from there depending on what the vet finds.
NO SOLIDS UNTIL the dragon does some pooing. Don't want to add to the backed rotting food in the dragon's gut.

The dual globe hood containing two 26W compacts is fine as are the 26W globes PROVIDING
>> the 26W globes are 26W UVB200 compacts or the Arcadia equivalent
>> the 26W globes are less than 6 months old
>> the dual hood (PT2226 Small 45 x 9 x 20 cm ) is fine for now, upgrading to a T5HO 12%UVB tube in a good quality T5HO reflector hood is a good idea .
>> the existing UV lights must be mounted UNDER the mesh and no more than 8 inches from the basking spot to provide sufficient UVA & UVB.

Check the basking spot temperature is about 40 degC.
Check the warm zone temperature is about 35 degC.

Check the photoperiod is about 14 hours.

Here is a guide for how to set proper UV and basking lighting : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Nickj

Original Poster
Update: the light bulbs didn't make him go, but he is trying to poop. Before I take him to the vet, I wanted to know if there is any way he can clear the inaction otherwise. His back legs are still moving so he isn't impacted severely.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Get him to the vet. 4 weeks is way too long for an nonbrumating dragon to not poo.

There risk now is he will end up with a prolapse or rupture something internally so I think it would be better to have him poo under vet supervision so if something nasty happens it can be dealt with immediately..

Nickj

Original Poster
Do you think he'll need surgery? We already took him to the vet once and they put fluids in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom