Bearded Dragon tail fell off

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonKiwi

I know you guys probably get this a lot and I've read through a couple of posts to see what action should be taken in my circumstances. I have had little max for almost 4 months now. When purchasing Max I was informed that he/she was already 10/11 weeks old so hopefully that information is accurate enough. Okay so I handle my dragon pretty much everyday and mist him/her with water everyday. I generally try to giver her/him baths twice a week to help with shedding and general cleanliness. Last night I noticed when I went to Max out of the viv the tail was kind of broken like folded back on itself. I immediately panicked and picked Max up to examine the tail. I noticed that the end was a bit red and the tip of the tail was hanging on by like one scale. I decided to go give her a quick bath to help her out with it and loosen the skin. After the bath I had no disinfectants to use such as neosporin or bethodine like I've read about so I decided I'd try get some today. To my surprise they don't sell either of these medicines in Ireland. I decided to contact the guys at Reptile Haven and ask for advice. They informed me I should use Hydrogen Peroxide. After reading some horror stories on here about people who used it I'm highly reluctant. I will enclose a photo of what the tail looks like now and hopefully someone can help me out! thanks :)
iF5GMZb.jpg
jQY2rzy.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hello over there in Ireland ! Sorry to hear about Max's tail. Can you post a pic of the full tail ? It may be something non problematic but it may also become an infection that needs vet treatment. One of the best things to use as a natural and powerful antimicrobial is raw unpasteurized honey. See if you can find some at a health store or from a beekeeper. Be sure that there are no loose insects hiding in the tank. [ They come out after dark ]

LemonKiwi

Original Poster
AHBD":1i9z9agq said:
Hello over there in Ireland ! Sorry to hear about Max's tail. Can you post a pic of the full tail ? It may be something non problematic but it may also become an infection that needs vet treatment. One of the best things to use as a natural and powerful antimicrobial is raw unpasteurized honey. See if you can find some at a health store or from a beekeeper. Be sure that there are no loose insects hiding in the tank. [ They come out after dark ]
Thanks for your fast response AHBD, At the moment she/he is in the middle of a shed so there is some slight discoloration. I can be assured there's not any live insects in the tank as I did a full clean last night right after I noticed it and I have hand fed only today. Here is a photo of the full tail as requested :D
7Ga0eKu.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That doesn't look like it's infected, it's a nice clean break. :) You still need to keep an eye on it, if it starts looking bad traveling up the tail then it will need attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom