Brumating or Dying, I’m really scared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I’m new here and it’s been soon two months I have my bearded dragon, in the last week and an half he’s been lethargic, like having problems moving his front limbs and just moving in general, he was eating way less than before, and almost always sleeping. From what I found; Could be brumating, he’s 5 year old and it’s winter where I live right now, It can’t be malnourished since he always have good insects (flour worms and cricket) with a good amount of vegetable (carrot, sweet potatoes, apples, salad most of the time) and i make him take baths every two days at most 3 if I really can’t. Before he was with me he was nourished 2-3 times a week at most, had only one light, didn’t have an hideout place and I think he didn’t have any baths at all for 5 years. So if you need any more detail or picture just ask me and I’ll provide with pleasure

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon isn't doing well.
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, temperatures, supplements
used as well as foods given, etc so we can be sure it's all correct. If you have any pictures also, to
post that is usually helpful too.
Is his beard black & is he losing weight or is he just maintaining it right now?
A lot of dragons, this time of year do slow down going into their brumation phases. Has he not ever
gone into brumation during the time you have had him?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Wolfmageddon

Original Poster
He doesn’t have a black be
103407-1931098411.jpg
103407-3553354046.jpg
ard, when I got him almost two months ago he kinda had one but it went away with time, as you’ll see in the picture the food light and type of light is an Exo Tera 150w intense basking spot light, and his hiding spot is soon to be painted/ recovered with something to look more natural
103407-4236865318.jpg
103407-3210995789.jpg
103407-8474530447.jpg
103407-943588345.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
To me he looks a little thin - first off beardies dont eat pellets- he needs live bugs either crickets or dubia roaches - once a week or so - he should be eating fresh vegies mustard greens collard greens squash any kind green beans fruit apple mango strawberries blueberries etc...... no citrus.. the feeding board has a website link to nutrition please look at it------------- get rid of the pellets etc.. he can eat super worms meal worms sparingly as he is an adult---- if hes not moving around much he could possibly have MBD as it doesnt look like hes had the proper UVB light this is what he should have Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will
need a T5 light fixture also. Placed inside the tank depending on your tank size - if its a small tank it can go on top of screen w/ cover off bulb- if its a larger tank it should go inside -- his bugs should be dusted w/ calcium d3 and vitamins -- Tracie needs to look at pics and give her advice on his appearance - Ok so I just reread your post and he is eating the vegies --- what are flour worms? I have never heard of them and from I read it sounds like he got off to a bad start-- I am sorry to hear that but Tracie is gonna haft to chime in here and give her advice as she is the expert-- what is his substrate?
Karrie

Wolfmageddon

Original Poster
It’s Orange desert sand, and « flour worm » I meant Mealworm, understood for the pellets and I’ll check for the lights, thanks a lot! I’ll be happy to see what she has to say and please read again the first post you’ll understand why he is so thin

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I did-- obviously you have rescued him but the bad start not feeding 2-3 times per week -- ughhh no! Please get rid of the sand --- its bad for him -- slated ceramic tile or non adhesive shelf liner is good - most of us use one or the other -- its easy to clean w/ vinegar and water in a spray bottle 60-40 w/ vinegar side-- or there abouts --- you can get the tile or shelf liner from Home Depot or your local hardware store-- I am hoping Tracie chimes in on this soon -- she will have recommendations for you -- need to get this guy feeling better and moving around better--

Karrie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
A lot of people do not do the proper research is why a lot of people use sand and other loose substrates. Also, please limit the fruit to treats only. Give more collard, mustard, or turnip greens. Butternut squash,raw and grated is also very good for them. He should get salads every day.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Also, his fat pads on his head are sunken in, which is not good..do you have a reptile vet you can get him to?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there. Your guy is a beautiful color. I'm sorry he's not feeling well. I agree, that he definitely needs a tube UV bulb in there. Thr lack of UV can contribute to the lack of appetite, lethargy, etc. Are you feeding him any other protein other than mealies and crickets? Dubia, phoenix worms, and silkworms are THE BEST feeders for them. You can purchase dubia and phoenix worms from rainbowmealworms.com and silkworms can be purchased from Coastal Silk worms. I haven't had any issues from either site. Hi I digress.... Brumation can't fully be ruled out since it is winter time where you are. If you're able, I'd get a fecal sample and take him to an experienced vet, herp or exotic. As for the sand, a lot of people just don't know and listen to what they're told by the pet stores. Beardies are sometimes messy eaters and they lick everything in sight, so eating or licking up the sand can cause impaction, and that is not a good beardie diagnosis. Also, if you're ever questioning what food to give your guy, you can always look here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I have it bookmarked on my phone for when I go shopping for my girl.

I hope the little guy gets better! Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, first of all you did a great job decorating your tank ! The cave + driftwood are functional + beautiful. Sand is controversial, some top breeders and I myself have never had 1 problem with it in 25 years of raising beardies. However it's the CALCIUM TYPE sand that can be more of a danger because some dragons like to eat it and it turns in to a sludge like mixture that can cause impaction . It also neutralizes stomach acids if it's eaten and the dragon can't absorb nutrients. I've used children's play sand from Walmart /Lowe's which is much safer and never had a single issue but you can go with a solid substrate if you like.

Your heat bulb is fine but your BIG problem is you have no uvb or just an ineffective coil /compact bulb. You need to get a long tube bulb ASAP, the Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12-14%. If you can't get a t5 you can get a Reptisun 10.0 t8 and mount it under the screen for better uvb exposure. The t5 + t8 stands for the strength of the bulb and the T5 is stronger.

With good uvb + more feedings he should bounce back but he needs the uvb ASAP. If it's sunny + above 65 where you live take him out daily to sit on your lap to soak up the uvb from the sun as well.

Wolfmageddon

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys! I’ll be doing this ASAP And when I’ll be able to and I definitely come back here to tell you what happened ^^ thanks a lot!

Jauly

He does look a bit thin but nothing too horrible. As well he could also be going into a later burmation. Regardless how well you keep their home heated or how well they're fed an bearded dragon who's in touch with his inner true self will go into brumation. Mine has been sleeping since October, in a few months he should wake up as he's always done since he was 5months old. Just keep an eye on him is all you can do. You can tell a lot with their eyes as my vet has told me, when the eyes become fogged over then it's time to bring them in or they stop gaining weight even thought they're eating a lot, or stop eating all together and losing more weight. Bearded dragons won't grow while in brumation nor do they gain weight, they do lose a bit tho. Maybe the previous owner took him our of brumation before it was time when he was sold or given to you which could also cause this reaction. And I get why you would think sand is a good form of bedding because in their birth place Australia you'll see plenty of bearded dragons enjoying themselves on nice warm sand. But it is best to find a soft yet good bedding. I WILL NEVER have a hard bedding for my bearded dragon, they love to dig and if you place a hard floor they can tear their nails. Some people have really lazy and sloth like beardies I guess. Mine when awake is a beast literally. When it comes down to it....you've only had him for 2 months...a change of home and person is hard on them. You can't just pick up anyones bearded dragon. He may need time to warm up to you and his new home. But once you two get to know one another you'll know best what he'll need in his home as well as his moods and it'll be easier to determine when something is a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom