Question about Cipro after Roundworm infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a question about my 5 month old juvenile, Elliot. He was found to have roundworms after a fecal test about a month ago and received a dose of Panacur(sp?). About a week ago, he started having very watery poops (not full diarrhea), got lethargic and had a small prolapse that went back in immediately with a sugar bath. I just took him to a new vet (the previous one had given bad advice on feeding) concerned that maybe the roundworm infection hadn't cleared. The fecal showed no roundworms or coccidia. The vet said it was bacterial gastritis and gave him Cipro 25mg/ml 0.1ml every other day for 14 days. Elliot got the 1st dose at the vet's office. No blood work was done. Since that dose, his urates have turned pink and chalky (no more watery poop). I read how rough Cipro can be on their kidneys. Should I continue to give him the Cipro? Could I give him Probiotics/soy yogurt to balance out his gut instead? I don't want to screw up and ruin his kidneys.

The temps in his viv are 105 for basking and 80 on the cool side. Here are pictures of him and his viv. The UVB is an Acadia T5 12% 1 week old. There's a CHE for at night. He is eating well.
103097-8828300931.jpg
103097-9946196251.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Medicating or not can be a tough call. Did the vet do any tests to confirm a bacterial infection? This is usually an H. Pylori test in humans and confirmed through blood but I'm not sure in reptiles. If you do continue the treatment, be sure to offer plenty of water to help protect his kidneys a bit and offering probiotics is probably a good idea too.

ElliotBeansMom

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3b6cb5ww said:
Medicating or not can be a tough call. Did the vet do any tests to confirm a bacterial infection? This is usually an H. Pylori test in humans and confirmed through blood but I'm not sure in reptiles. If you do continue the treatment, be sure to offer plenty of water to help protect his kidneys a bit and offering probiotics is probably a good idea too.

No tests were done to confirm a bacterial infection. It was based more on having recovered from roundworms and a "just in case".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom