MBD and refusing to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdelvec

We took our 6 month old Beardie to the vet last Sunday because her front leg was swollen and she was pretty lethargic. She was diagnosed with MBD and we left with a prescription calcium and food.

It’s been 10 days and she is refusing to open her jaw for me to administer her calcium or food. Her eyes are sunken in... and the swelling in her leg is almost gone.

She was doing good for a few days after the vet and it’s only been the last 2-3 that she has become lethargic and refusing to let me feed her. She has not eaten any live insects or fresh green, but we offer them daily.

We have the reptisun 10.0. Her tank is 105 basking, 83 cool. No substrate on the floor (shelving paper). Basking rock, climbing branch and net.

So... here’s my question. I do feel like the calcium is working since the swelling is down and she can lock her jaw and refuse food. Could she be stubborn and refusing because she doesn’t like it? Should I back off and let her self feed? Is there any other way to make her eat?
We are making a follow up vet appointment, but there is an ice storm today so I can’t take her. Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She sounds dehydrated w/ the sunken eyes--- try dropping water on her snout and see if she licks it off--- as far as getting her to eat I am not sure but others might recommend feeding her some baby food like squash and there are others and I cant remember --- ABHD or Drache613 can help w/ this -- you might want to PM them or someone else may chime in on this- but try the water drops and see if she will drink
Karrie

Cdelvec

Original Poster
Thanks... we’ve tried baby food. And she was eating that for a while too. I’ve been soaking her 3x a day for about 10 minutes at a time, and dropping water on her nose.
I almost wonder if it’s an infection? She doesn’t even want to bask, she’s going to the cool/darker side of the tank to sleep.
Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so its not dehydration - post pic of her or send one to Tracie Drache613 -shes our vet moderator - you can find her on any of the boards click on her name find PM on her profile and message her
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom