Baby dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!
I'm a new bearded dragon owner. I got him/her 3 days ago, I believe he/she is almost 2 months old by its size. I got a 40 gallon tank (the ExoTerra ReptiHabitat) with a UVB light and basking lamp. Im not using the sand from the kit but instead paper towels. The basking area temperature has been as high as 110° F with 40% humidity.
First day she/he ate two mealworms from the food sampler that was included in the kit. I also bought a couple of crickets from Petsmart also but they are way too big for my beardie, so I've decided not to feed them to it. I tried to feed it some cut up cucumber and it didn't even look at it. Ive also tried all the samples in the kit and some Fluckers Dragon Diet but my beardie hasn't shown interest. I've been giving it some water by putting droplets near its mouth with my finger. Beardie has responded to this by licking/drinking sometimes. He/she is also shedding on the base of its tail a bit. So I gave it a small and quick dip in a bowl with dechlorinated water.
It ate a single worm today.
I've been trying to research on baby bearded dragon behavior since this is my first lizard and I don't know what to expect but I've haven't found much. The beardie is calm and it lets me hold it in my hand (even falls asleep) and spends a lot of time basking and with its eyes closed.
I'm new to all this, am I doing something wrong? Will it die if it doesn't eat soon? I'd appreciate some tips and advice.
Thanks in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- you have come to the right place to get more info--- first of all your little one probably has relocation stress--- second the stuff you got in that "kit" is junk--- dragons do not eat pellets-- you need to find either crickets that are no bigger than the size between his eyes or dubia roaches -- I recommend dubias --they dont give parasites like crickets can- they are easy to take care of you can keep them in a tote plastic container or a 10 gallon aquarium- they eat dubia food and you can also feed them carrots apples sweet potato all getting nourishment and water-- your little one will really start to eat once he gets over his relocation stress-- so if your feeding crickets he will be eating maybe 20 or so maybe more in a 15 minute time period-- if feeding dubias maybe around 5-6 -- 1 dubia roach = 6 crickets - he should be fed 2 times per day depending on him- I tried w/ Hiccup and he usually only ate once per day-- all bugs should be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium d3 powder and vitamins 2 x per week - dubias can be found on amazon and most shippers ship for free-- super worms are not a good idea to feed babies -- too hard on digestive system at the age --- that goes for meal worms as well --- babies main diet at this time is bugs- keep offering greens like mustard collard green beans squash any kind --- he probably wont eat it but offer any way -- he will start eating more of it as he gets closer to a year-- as for the lighting --- that too is no good - he should have a UVB Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8 the cover over the bulb should be off and the fixture place inside the tank or Arcadia 10.0 T 5 also placed inside the tank around 6-12 inches from him- if getting the Arcadia you only need to replace bulb once per year the Reptisun every 6 months- this is crucial ----- he needs this for digesting his food and to prevent MBD! The basking bulb is probably ok as long as his temps are up like around 95 105 or so babies tend to like it warmer- I would invest in a Infrared gun to take temps - you can get those at Walmart Home Depot etc like around $10-- ideas for substrate can be slated tile from Home Depot cut to size of tank - easy to clean w/ vinegar / water in spray bottle or non adhesive floor liner - both are cheap and a lot easier to keep clean-- please ask more questions here if you have them -- Petsmart and Petco tend to give bad advice and people there dont have a clue as to what they are talking about - many little dragons have died because of their advice- if you happen to find some one there that has a dragon and had experience thats ok but please come here and ask -- thanks
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You are welcome -- anymore questions please ask -- we are here to help

Karrie

Naerhaella

Original Poster
If I get the Reptisun lamp, should I remove the ones that came with the kit? Or leave the basking one? Or leave both and use all 3?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If the basking bulb is doing the thing for temps stay w/ it - but the UVB you want to change out- and put inside your tank - you can use fishing line string what ever maybe look for some sort of hangers at the local home store --- what ever you can find to hang the light fixture inside the tank -
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going?
To mount the tube bulb with the fixture, underneath of the screen & inside of the tank, you
can also use 3M Command hooks too which work really well.
As long as your basking bulb is a bright white bulb & not a colored light or a light that says it is
a daytime bulb with neodymium coating, then it will be fine.
How close is the basking bulb to him?

Tracie

Naerhaella

Original Poster
Baby Beardie is doing better. He's been eating a bit more and is much more active in his enclosure. I'm getting live insects next week, I've decided to buy dubia roaches and phoenix worms.
And I'm buying the new light from PetSmart tomorrow! Thank you all for the tips!

Naerhaella

Original Poster
I have a decoration which is like a log/rock from the reptile area in PetSmart. I placed the thermometer next to the highest point of this basking tree, the temperature has been at 110° F at its highest. It fluctuates from 100 to 110 during the day.
My beardie now climbs and goes as it pleases. The cooler side of the enclosure has a hiding spot (a half log thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom