Beardie sick for months PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielmyler

Hi,

I am reaching out to all corners of the internet, because my beardie, Jude needs help. She hasn't eaten in almost 6 months. I have seen 2 vets, and i've spent 750 dollars in total trying to find out what is wrong with her. Nothing has helped. She's losing weight and I have tried everything. Please if anyone has any suggestions, or ANYTHING, please help my baby. Here's what's been going on:

In August I noticed her poops were runny and she seemed lethargic, so I figured she had parasites. However, she was still basking and eating fine. She weighed 502 grams. We took her in, and they gave her a dose of Albon to give her. Right away with the medication her appetite decreased, but I figured it was from the medication, and it would come back. Two weeks pass and she's lost interest in her favorite foods, even hornworms,(which were irresistible before). Another month passed, but we thought she was burmating, so we weren't too worried. After another month we don't think it's burmation, because although she doesn't want to bask, she's not sleeping during the day. We took her back in to the vet, and they tried to 'restart' her system by pumping food and fluids into her. Took her back 3 weeks later, and they tried another medication to see if she had amoebas. Didn't work. Took her back again, and spend 200 dollars to get bloodwork done to see if that would lead us anywhere. The tests came back inconclusive, and they didn't find anything wrong except a higher white blood cell count (Which they didn't know why.) 750 dollars later, i've hit a dead end. She now weighs 465 grams, and is extremely dehydrated. I give her soaks everyday, along with a syringe of water, and a 'smoothie' of purred roaches (gross), banana, reptibost, and calcium. I pry her mouth open and force it down her throat. I don't know what else to do. Please someone help me, I can't afford to take her to another vet right now. Here's her setup:
-50 Gallon tank
-Tile
-basking spot at 107
-Reptisun 10.0 UVB florescent bulb that sits in a fixture in her cage, about 9 inches away from her basking spot.
-Enclosure never drops below 72 at night.

Here's all the things we've tried to help her:
-Albon
-Medication for amoeba (can't remember the name, sorry!)
-fluids
-a whole can of reptiboost probiotic
-soaks every day

Please someone, I don't want her to die, I love her so much that i've invested 800 dollars into her health with no results. She's lethargic and extremely dehydrated even though I give her soaks and syringes of water, she doesn't want to bask but doesn't sleep during the day. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE AND HELP MY BABY.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please PM TracieDrache613-- ASAP- this does not sound good---click on her name Drache613 and another box will come up click on PM

Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos of her and her setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button. Only a 40g drop over 6 months doesn't sound all that bad. Perhaps the intervention has caused more harm than good. Which ReptiSun 10 are you using? Is it a T5?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Just trying to gather information here, not implying that it isn't the case, but how do you know she's dehydrated? Is that what the vet reported or are there symptoms like loose skin not going back to shape after being gently pulled?

Not eating for 6 months without brumating certainly doesn't sound right, but how often are you manually feeding her? Has her weight loss been a continual slide or fits & starts? Is there black-bearding or obvious signs of distress apart from the appetite/dehydration issue?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear Jude is having so many issues.
Did the vet initially do a fecal exam to determine what if any worms or parasites were present?
Is the Reptisun 10 mounted on top of or underneath of the screen top, at 9 inches away?
Please post pictures of her along with your setup just so we can see her condition & the layout
of her tank, too.
Do you happen to have a copy of the blood tests also? I can look over that for you to see if the
vet has missed anything.
Has her beard darkened at all thus far?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom