Facing finger amputation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmilana

We are in need of some advice. My grandson (8 years old) has a female beardie that we purchased for him last Christmas. She is about 1 1/2 years old. She has been healthy up to this point.
After a recent shed we noticed her pinkie fingers were discolored. Then they began to turn black. We brought her to a exotic Vet who said the shed didn't come off properly and strangled her pinkies. One is worse than the other. They sent us home with Nolvasan solution and Silver sulfadiazine cream.
We used the medication for a week and brought her back for a recheck. There was no improvement. We were told to give it another week or so and if the pinkies don't fall off on their own they will have to be amputated. They are afraid of it spreading to her hand and then she would lose that too. We feel just awful about the whole situation. We made the appointment for the amputation, but we are very concerned about putting her under anesthesia. What is a reasonable time to wait to see if they fall off on their own? How can we prevent this from ever happening to her other fingers and toes?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give us.

I would trust the vet with the amputation, because even if they do fall off on their own, there could be a risk of infection. In the future, make sure that she gets plenty of baths while she is shedding to help loosen the skin.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't see any type of infection there. They are dark but it could be just the lingering shed because there's no sign of anything looking constricted. I don't see anything that would warrant amputation though. If anything you might soak them in a betadine/water solution and gently stroke them [ not scrub ] with a soft toothbrush.

Even IF they at some point need amputated there would be no need to put her under, a quick snip would take the toe off.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I agree. I don't see any signs of necrosis or retained shed, either.
What type of substrate do you have her on?
Have you tried bathing her, using a small soft toothbrush to gently scrub her hands, to see if
that loosens any dirt or debris that could be lodged to make it off colored?

Tracie

dmilana

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. Yes we have been bathing her especially while she is shedding. She has shed without incident several times. The first thing we noticed was she was holding her hands elevated a little when she was lounging, instead of laying them flat. We thought they must be about to shed and feel funny to her. We did not know to rub her fingers, we thought you always let them shed on their own. We didn't see any skin hanging off her fingers. When we went to the Vet they scrubbed her hands.
The substrate we have been using is the green reptile carpet. Yesterday we brought her over to a reptile store where we purchase her worms. They took a look at her hands and asked about the substrate also. They said sometimes the fibers from the green carpet can wind themselves around the fingers and act as a tourniquet. They suggested we use newspaper or paper towels instead. Idk there is so much information out there you just never know if you are doing the right thing!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
BTW, can you look very closely and see if you actually can spot any fiber wrapped around the fingers anywhere ? Even use a magnifying glass ? It's not evident in these pics at all but maybe it's just too hard to see. If there's nothing wound around then the toes are just dark colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom