Frozen Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylaJoye

So I am new to the site and was hoping for some insight. My kids got my Yoshi (hes about 5) out last night and he runs amok and then finds a warm corner to sleep in. Unfortunately everyone forgot he was out and he got out in the snow. We live in colorado. I am not sure how long he was out and thank goodness my dog found him and was trying to herd him which kept him active. He was pretty solid (i literally thought he was frozen) when I got him inside. I heated up towels in the dryer and wrapped him. I didnt want to bring his temp up too fast so I would qrap him for a bit then unwrap and put him in my shirt alternating. He is sluggish now but is opening his eyes, standing on his own, and stuck his cute little tongue out a few times. Should I worry about shock? Anyone know if my dude can suffer brain damage? Basically, how can I make sure he is good. I love this guy bunches and neeeeed him to be ok. Thanks for any help!!
PS my kids are in the worst trouble ever!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, poor dragon indeed! Did you give your dog a nice treat for finding him & keeping
him alive? Since there is snow, what are the temperatures outside?
He wasn't out all night was he, I hope not. If he is opening his eyes & has stuck out his tongue
a little bit, then hopefully he will be alright.
I would treat as you would a human or mammal, warm them slowly & definitely don't try to give
any food or water yet until you can determine how he is doing. Be sure the basking isn't too hot
initially. How does his body look, do his scales appear normal?
As far as shock, only time will tell with that but hopefully not & he will recover nicely.
Let us know how Yoshi is doing!

Tracie

LeylaJoye

Original Poster
Tracie
Thanks so much for reaponding! Its cold!! Like 30s....I am not sure how long he was out...so far I think things look pretty ok. He took a big poo after he warmed up!! ( only time I havent been mad he pooed on my bed!! Lol) and he got up and ran across the bed a few mins ago!! Thank goodness he seems mostly ok. My biggest worry is that he isnt opening his left eye. I am hoping his inner eyelid isnt injured. Maybe its just sore I hope. His color was a little jaundicy at first but seems to be normalizing. He is a pretty cool dude so I am just trying to keep him comfy right now! He was snuggling me and crawled up in my side so good sign! I will keep giving updates. Glad I found this site. Seen some awesome stuff on here so far. Thanks again Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think he'll be OK --- provided he was NOT FROZEN SOLID.

In their natural range in winter occasionally there are frosts overnight and wild bearded dragons survive these.

We had a "winter cyclone" (hurricane) off the coast here one July and lost power for 5 days, dropped to about 3 degC overnight (outside and not much warmer inside - no electricity ==> no aircon , no heat ) , my bluetongues , water skink and bearded dragons , were very cold and very sleepy , but not lizardicles , and were fine when the power came back on and they warmed back up and were none the worse for the experience - I however was very frazzled and stressed and worried about them.
I'd have a vet check him out ASAP , exposure to ice / snow for an extended period might have frost bitten his extremitys and tail .

LeylaJoye

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the responses everyone! Update as of this morning is Yosh is doing amazing! Im so glad I wasnt the one who found him. My husband did annd swears he should not be alive!! However this morning he is raising ruckus like he always does in the AM! Both eyes are now openimg normally! He is getting irked with me when I touch his sensitive places! Its really a miracle! Thanks for your concern. I will try and post a pic of my handsome guy so you guys can see how great he looks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like he survived the ordeal unscathed, glad to hear it !! Now he will want to write a book about his experience. :)

LeylaJoye

Original Poster
Thats what we said! Haha. Tell his kids when I was your age I had to walk in the snow uphill both ways!!
Im so glad he is ok! Super curious as usual. I am trying to upload his pic but it says my image is not an appropriate jpeg...ugh

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks terrific all things considered! I guess he wasn't frozen after all, thankfully. :D
He appears bright eyed & alert. I'm sure he is so happy to be warm now.
Let us know how he is doing! I am so happy he is basking & back with you.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks Cooper, that is a great link, what a happy ending. I remember that story, too.
Just wondering how the dragon is doing?

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Drache613":1caebic0 said:
Hello,

Thanks Cooper, that is a great link, what a happy ending. I remember that story, too.
Just wondering how the dragon is doing?

Tracie

I'm not sure. I am near that vet's office a lot during the summer (they just moved to Key West, IA :lol: ) I should stop in and check on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom