Beardie drying out? Parasites? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ToAE0wBkl94YKe1MtEnzxCeQ heres a photo og the beardie, he’s 2 weeks old and it’s (i think) drying out, any ideas how to save it or what to do next cause I have no idea, i think he’s gonna die during next week, I really want to save him/her cause I’ve completely fallen in love with it, I need urgent help! He doesn’t eat, he doesn’t move, it doesn’t do anything besides laying there and moving an inch or two each day, it’s just getting worse and it’s tail is turning crusty and dried up, what should I do?! Help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear this. Where did you get a 2 week old baby ? Are his siblings healthy ? The picture is hard to see, I can't zoom in or increase the size at all. Can you upload a few pics using this info :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

BTW, offer water dripped on his/her snout for a drink.

BeardieBaby101

Original Poster
102936-3975750078.jpg

Here is it, also i offer it water every day, 4-5 times a day, i sit down for an hour or half an hour every time to make sure they eat, drink and are hydrated enough, i hatched them myself, all of the other siblings are healthy, only one is a little skinny but at least that one eats, this one doesn’t eat at all unless I push food into its mouth, and when I do it’s jaw makes a clicking sound when he chews, I have no idea what’s wrong with it, but I think it might be the weakest one in the clutch, other than that I’m clueless, I feed it cucumber a few times a week to make sure he gets enough water as well

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Poor little one! I was able to blow the pic up larger and he/she didn't look good at all. I'd use the PM button under your name in the post to send a private message to Drachie613. She's one of the moderators and a vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little one. If the tail was not rippled when it hatched [ every great one in a while they can be born like that ] then the tail has been bitten and likely has tail rot. It has to be kept apart from the siblings so as not to be bitten anymore. Are the eyes swollen ? If so, dilute some unpasteurized honey with a tiny bit of warm water + apply it twice a day. I'm sorry to say that this baby prob. won't make it but you can still try. Get some Repashy grub pie to feed via syringe.

Only time will tell, hope it survives but it's not likely.

BeardieBaby101

Original Poster
Okay, thank you so much for your help, it’s my first clutch of babies and it’s the first and smallest of the eggs, this isn’t rare I bet, it happens, I’ll just take care of the rest of them as best as I can <3

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Aaradimian":3to4qll9 said:
Poor little one! I was able to blow the pic up larger and he/she didn't look good at all. I'd use the PM button under your name in the post to send a private message to Drachie613. She's one of the moderators and a vet.

I'd ask her to weigh in on the info you've already given & she'll definitely ask other questions as the situation dictates. You can use this link to get to her, I think.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8309

Birdy

Hatchling Member
Hi!
I bred my BDs a while back and ran into quite a few issues with the babies, and very similar to yours, so I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Okay first off a few different angles of just the tail and then the whole body in good light would be great! and it's eyes too, it's eyes look swollen. Does it have thick goop or anything in the eyes? The tail has tail rot, which isn't good.. for that pure RAW honey will help and saline rinse too. Warm water baths too. That's at lest what I did for the babies I raised... The tail will most likely fall off.
Is the baby shedding? Is that what I'm seeing too?
What is this baby's set up? Light's, how long are the lights on, color of the lights, bedding, stuff in the tank, temps, etc?
As well maybe a humidity box inside it's tank, is it dry where you are at? This may or may not help.. But the other things I said above should.
When it first hatched was it like this?
Does it wheeze or anything like that? Popping noise?
If possible keep this little one separate from the others.

I am also going to recommend a reptile vet for this baby, if possible, she/he looks very uncomfortable, poor thing. I hope for the best for you and your little BD!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have not checked my messages quite yet but you had mentioned messaging me. I saw this
thread before checking.
Wow, it is pretty severe for him. It looks fungal to me. His tail has definitely been formed wrong.
It probably isn't fungal but some type of deformity. My best recommendation is essentially what
AHBD mentioned about using warm water to dilute some raw, unpasteurized honey to help with
the eyes. Is the baby moving around at all?
I agree, his chances probably are not real high, of survival. Try to keep him comfortable & do
house him separately & in a warmer environment overnight to help him out.
What morph did you breed?

Tracie

BeardieBaby101

Original Poster
The baby was dead when I came come today..his head was soft with blood under the skin in his head and we made sure he was dead by squeezing his tail gently and then putting him on his back..he was actually dead and i want to bury him so i covered him in paper and a plastic bag and put him in the freezer so I can bury him when the snow disappears, or is that mean?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry your little one, just did not make it. :cry: No matter how short of a time you have
them they leave a huge imprint on your heart. You can wrap him up in a little baggie, along
with any small blankie, etc he was on that he loved & place him in the freezer, indefinitely until
you are ready to give him a service.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry you lost the little one, I knew this would probably happen and even though it was just a short life it's a very sad thing to see. You did your best though. My sympathy to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom