5 yo WON’T EAT....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5 yo male won’t eat ANYTHING unless there’s live fat worms on top of it. (Wax, super, horn, butter, bsfl) I can’t get dubias in FL so that’s out of the question and I prefer to not feed crickets. ( he doesn’t chase them anyway.)

I’ve tried literally everything. His lighting and temps are good. He’s been to a vet recently and checked out healthy.
I’ve tried pureed veggies, all the staple greens, bee pollen, beardie salad dressing, hanging leafy greens on the walls of his cage all the way to chopping them up super fine. I EVEN TRIED STARVING HIM OF BUGS where he went almost 2 weeks w/o eating and nothing... WTF???

amandamaghirang

Original Poster
My 5 yo male won’t eat ANYTHING unless there’s live fat worms on top of it. (Wax, super, horn, butter, bsfl) I can’t get dubias in FL so that’s out of the question.

I’ve tried literally everything. His temps and lighting are good. He’s been to a vet recently and checked out healthy.
I’ve tried pureed veggies, all the staple greens, bee pollen, beardie salad dressing, hanging leafy greens on the walls of his cage all the way to chopping them up super fine. I EVEN TRIED STARVING HIM OF BUGS where he went almost 2 weeks w/o eating and nothing... WTF??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We can review your tank setup with you, if you need.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see so we can see his physical condition?
Did the vet do a fecal on him but it came up clear?
He may just be a little bit slown down for the season. Has he not ever brumated before,
during the colder months?

Tracie

amandamaghirang

Original Poster
Drache613":2ortz4wv said:
Hello,

We can review your tank setup with you, if you need.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see so we can see his physical condition?
Did the vet do a fecal on him but it came up clear?
He may just be a little bit slown down for the season. Has he not ever brumated before,
during the colder months?

Tracie

I don't have a current photo of his set up but he is in a 50 gal, temps are 95-100 hot side and 80 on cool side. There is also a t8 10.0 mounted inside the tank with a bulb less than 6 mo old. Physically he is great! Usually weighs at 650-670g, has had recent blood work and fecal and both came back clear. Brumating is hard for me to recognize since I know it differs with each dragon but he seems to go down for a few days and then come out of it and the process repeats. He is def not a super active boy... lol But I live in FL and we dont get huge differences in seasons, not sure if that makes a difference? Here's a pic of him when hes active.

87302-6864176602.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Have you tried handfeeding his greens and chopped veg to him inbetween his cherished worms and bugs ?

Have you tried Repashi VeggieBurger as a substitute for fresh greens and veg ?

Starving a lizard to try to force it to eat what it doesn't like is neither effective or fair to the lizard who will not understand why you have stopped providing food to it. Better to make sure the insects are gut loaded with the best quality greens and veg and that way the dragon gets the bugs it likes and wants and doesn't know it's also getting stuff it doesn't like because it's disguised.

amandamaghirang

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":abzbsryq said:
Have you tried handfeeding his greens and chopped veg to him inbetween his cherished worms and bugs ?

Have you tried Repashi VeggieBurger as a substitute for fresh greens and veg ?

Starving a lizard to try to force it to eat what it doesn't like is neither effective or fair to the lizard who will not understand why you have stopped providing food to it. Better to make sure the insects are gut loaded with the best quality greens and veg and that way the dragon gets the bugs it likes and wants and doesn't know it's also getting stuff it doesn't like because it's disguised.

I have not tried Repashy yet but, I’m only withholding insects and still offering veggies and greens. He just won’t eat them alone. I don’t starve him completely. That’s just cruel. I do give the insects the same greens and veggies I offer him so he is at least getting what they are eating. But I don’t want to feed him too much protein and end up with gout.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks really good in the picture.
Even with you in Florida & it not having big temperature fluctuations, he still recognizes the
length of the days, etc which has just as much to do with them brumating as cold weather,
really.
The T8 mounted inside of the tank should be sufficient. Is it mounted directly overhead also?
How far from him is it?

Tracie

amandamaghirang

Original Poster
Drache613":22e15kwl said:
Hello,

He looks really good in the picture.
Even with you in Florida & it not having big temperature fluctuations, he still recognizes the
length of the days, etc which has just as much to do with them brumating as cold weather,
really.
The T8 mounted inside of the tank should be sufficient. Is it mounted directly overhead also?
How far from him is it?

Tracie

Yep, the t8 is inside next to his heat lamp. He can get within 4-6 inches of both. I’m starting to think he’s brumating and just doesn’t go down like some dragons.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just offer a few live insects twice a week for a while, about 3-4 at most. On the days in between, or at least twice a week offer only greens. He is slightly overweight so he has no problem holding out for his faves. Reduce the insects drastically + at some point he will begin to eat greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom