Turn your Back? Cat Attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the title you should know what happened...

I have had Pancake for 2 weeks, he's a 6/6.5 month old now and I've learned he likes to make a pretty big mess with his poop.

SO I was in the middle of cleaning the tank- lid off. Left my room, door shut to call my dad to pick up more paper towels and came back to my door open and my cat laying with a smirk.

My door apparently didn't click shut.

He suffered surface scratches, I don't see any evidence of bite wounds, and most of the damage is his tail. The back of his head took a few swipes and he got caught under his chin. This is an emergency to me because I know that a cat bite/scratch can quickly turn into a life or death situation due to infection due to their nasty little germs. Below the images I'll talk about what we did to clean him up.

***I WANT TO KNOW FROM YOU EXPERIENCED BEARDIE OWNERS; VET OR NO VET??
I know it's better to be safe than sorry-- But it's winter here and going to a reptile vet is a 3 hour long drive, I have a severe panic and anxiety disorder. I don't have much money- but if it's going to help him I'll do it.
***IF NOT VET EMERGENCY--- Is there anything else you would recommend/any advice you'd give me on treating these wounds that you KNOW will PREVENT infection AFTER YOU READ WHAT STEPS I'VE TAKEN SO FAR??

AFTER THE ATTACK SYMPTOMS; He's very energetic and already back to his old self. Scrambling, ate roaches and even had some of his salad. Currently basking between sprinting around the tank.

Anyways, here's the damage;
https://i.imgur.com/7AgZOwZ.jpg

---- Just gonna say this once; "You're an irresponsible owner you should never leave the lid off if you know you're cats are gonna murder him" <------- 1. I was cleaing his cage. 2. No, I'm not. :)
This animal requires the most of my time, energy, and love. I literally treat him as a child. My options were; Go off and have a husband and a family--- Or have animals. (priorities obviously) Trust me, I am doing everything in my power to make sure he has the best and longest life possible...

***WHAT I DID AFTER THE ATTACK-
Immediately ran him and his wounds under warm water ((he hated every second of it, I'm sure he was in a lot of pain)) I was about to apply antibacterial ointment when my mom came up with another alternative after doing some research online.

We use the purest natural oils we can get a hold of-- we believe in the highest quality care when it comes to us and our pets. So we made our own concoction to avoid the use of applying petroleum on my dragon. We made a a mixture of lavender to help sooth his cuts, Helichrysum to stop the bleeding, Frankincense to help the wound heal, and a mix called On-Guard to kill the bacteria that could've got in. WE MIXED ALL OF THIS- AND PUT IT IN A DILUTION OF 95% COCONUT OIL JUST TO BE SAFE.

His cage has been disinfected, I gave him a new basking spot while I go clean his perch--

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I'M MISSING???? ANYTHING ELSE I COULD POSSIBLY DO TO HELP? DESPITE EVERYTHING SHOULD I TAKE A VET TRIP ANYWAYS???

Guys I know this was a lot to read- But trust me when I say I have a lot of concern and anxiety over the current health of this animal... even with the research I did; YOUR OPINION. MATTERS TO ME.

Even if you think he'll be ok-- Hearing from other people really helps me form a good judgement.

Whoever actually takes the time to read this--- I love you..
And most importantly--- Pancake loves you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OP's picture
cat-attack-injures-on-tail.png

You need to get the Pancake to a vet IMMEDIATELY to have him checked , the wound's cleaned and have him started on broadspectrum antibiotics (tell the vet he as a victim of a cat attack).

Despite the claims - raw unpasteurized honey is not the cure-all and will not be effective at stopping the bacteria & viruses and other nasties in the open wounds (from claws and fangs (?)) he's suffered and you really don't know how deep the penetrating wounds from the claws (and fans) are. and less effective when the germs have entered the bloodstream already.
No injuries on his torso or legs ?

Ideally the vet needs to see him inside 24 hours of the attack, the longer this is delayed the poorer his prognosis becomes.

Honey and betadiene are only useful in this case as supplementary treatments to try to keep wounds clean and aid healing .
Once the germs are in the bloodstream , very high risk of a life-threatening systemic infection taking hold if treatment with antibiotics is delayed.
You can make up a dilute of betadiene in luke warm water (33 degC) , add drops of betadiene until the water had the colour of weak tea , and bath the wound using a cotton ball or strip of absorbant paper towel soaked in the solution for about 10 mins, and then apply some concentrated betadiene or manuka honey to the wounds to aid healing .

Keep us posted on how things pan out.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Please take Pancake to the vet ASAP. I've never had a beardie attacked by a cat, but I did manage to catch one of mine in the act of attacking a wild baby rabbit. As far as I could tell, the rabbit was only bitten once, but it ended up being fatal. His bite probably hit something vital, though that wasn't apparent from the wound, which was just two fang punctures. Bottom line is that cats are efficient hunters, wounds that don't look bad can be, and cat saliva is loaded with bacteria, so I agree with KoN that this is no time for half measures.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SwervesBar":3shgnk00 said:
Judging by the title you should know what happened...

I have had Pancake for 2 weeks, he's a 6/6.5 month old now and I've learned he likes to make a pretty big mess with his poop.

There are four options for housing your dragon SAFELY from here forward :

option 1 : convert existing tank to a solid timber hinged lid
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=240221&p=1840683#p1840683

option 2 : convert existing tank by turning tank on it's side and turn the top into the front and add sliding glass (lockable) doors
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=246739

option 3 : move the dragon into a tub with a click clak style lid that has been modified , a 120L tub will be ideal for a juvenile up til it's first birthday ie https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-120 ... r_p2583852 , conversion is easy and quick
, and the latches that hold the lid on will make it cat proof ie viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

option 4 : invest in a solid timber front opening tank or build one for the dragon.

SO I was in the middle of cleaning the tank- lid off. Left my room, door shut to call my dad to pick up more paper towels and came back to my door open and my cat laying with a smirk.

My door apparently didn't click shut.

He suffered surface scratches, I don't see any evidence of bite wounds, and most of the damage is his tail. The back of his head took a few swipes and he got caught under his chin. This is an emergency to me because I know that a cat bite/scratch can quickly turn into a life or death situation due to infection due to their nasty little germs. Below the images I'll talk about what we did to clean him up.
<<< these are serious and need to be checked .

***I WANT TO KNOW FROM YOU EXPERIENCED BEARDIE OWNERS; VET OR NO VET??
I know it's better to be safe than sorry-- But it's winter here and going to a reptile vet is a 3 hour long drive, I have a severe panic and anxiety disorder. I don't have much money- but if it's going to help him I'll do it. <<< I'd take the drive ( place Pancake in 20L tub or even a shoe box that's ventilated and placed on the floor so he's safe) .

***IF NOT VET EMERGENCY--- Is there anything else you would recommend/any advice you'd give me on treating these wounds that you KNOW will PREVENT infection AFTER YOU READ WHAT STEPS I'VE TAKEN SO FAR??

AFTER THE ATTACK SYMPTOMS; He's very energetic and already back to his old self. Scrambling, ate roaches and even had some of his salad. Currently basking between sprinting around the tank.

Anyways, here's the damage;
https://i.imgur.com/7AgZOwZ.jpg

---- Just gonna say this once; "You're an irresponsible owner you should never leave the lid off if you know you're cats are gonna murder him" <------- 1. I was cleaing his cage. 2. No, I'm not. :)
This animal requires the most of my time, energy, and love. I literally treat him as a child. My options were; Go off and have a husband and a family--- Or have animals. (priorities obviously) Trust me, I am doing everything in my power to make sure he has the best and longest life possible...

***WHAT I DID AFTER THE ATTACK-
Immediately ran him and his wounds under warm water ((he hated every second of it, I'm sure he was in a lot of pain)) I was about to apply antibacterial ointment when my mom came up with another alternative after doing some research online.

We use the purest natural oils we can get a hold of-- we believe in the highest quality care when it comes to us and our pets. So we made our own concoction to avoid the use of applying petroleum on my dragon. We made a a mixture of lavender to help sooth his cuts, Helichrysum to stop the bleeding, Frankincense to help the wound heal, and a mix called On-Guard to kill the bacteria that could've got in. WE MIXED ALL OF THIS- AND PUT IT IN A DILUTION OF 95% COCONUT OIL JUST TO BE SAFE.

This mixture is worthless medically. I'm concerned about toxicity to reptiles here as you have no idea how much of the "active molecules" entered Pancake's bloodstream. Would have been better off washing with sterile salien or cooled boiled water then applying honey and or betadeine to the wounds or an antibiotic ointment.

His cage has been disinfected, I gave him a new basking spot while I go clean his perch--

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I'M MISSING???? ANYTHING ELSE I COULD POSSIBLY DO TO HELP? DESPITE EVERYTHING SHOULD I TAKE A VET TRIP ANYWAYS???

Guys I know this was a lot to read- But trust me when I say I have a lot of concern and anxiety over the current health of this animal... even with the research I did; YOUR OPINION. MATTERS TO ME.

Even if you think he'll be ok-- Hearing from other people really helps me form a good judgement.

Whoever actually takes the time to read this--- I love you..
And most importantly--- Pancake loves you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you call a local vet + ask if they can confer with the reptile vet ? I know that parts of the country have dangerous driving conditions so it may not be wise to travel a long distance, esp. with a panic disorder. Tell the vet it's urgent and that all you need him to do is to weigh your dragon and consult with the reptile vet as to what dose to use . Baytril [ enrofloxacin ] is commonly used for this type of thing and maybe the in town vet can dose it himself but I can't see why they coud not call the reptile vet to get a simple dose suggestion. See if that might work for you. You can do the betadine soaks + all you need is the meds.

Best wishes, please post whatever happens, feel free to p.m me as well.

SwervesBar

Original Poster
AHBD":2kt4rla6 said:
Can you call a local vet + ask if they can confer with the reptile vet ? I know that parts of the country have dangerous driving conditions so it may not be wise to travel a long distance, esp. with a panic disorder. Tell the vet it's urgent and that all you need him to do is to weigh your dragon and consult with the reptile vet as to what dose to use . Baytril [ enrofloxacin ] is commonly used for this type of thing and maybe the in town vet can dose it himself but I can't see why they coud not call the reptile vet to get a simple dose suggestion. See if that might work for you. You can do the betadine soaks + all you need is the meds.

Best wishes, please post whatever happens, feel free to p.m me as well.

Thank you, (also thank you to everyone above), I'm calling our local vet downtown asap in the morning. I know sje doesn't do reptiles but I'll take your suggestion. It's not like i'm asking for a surgery- literally just the meds. Maybe she can swing something =/

And yeah- I live in Wisconsin so to me it would be a risky drive anyways.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I’m no help here but I’m just stopping in to say I will be thinking of you and pancake and I hope to read a update soon of how your Pancake is doing

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, best to consult with a vet although if you clean it very well + have antiseptic on it it may not develop any bad infection. It's just not knowing. I think your local vet can help out though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
An exotics vet is likely in nearby , not as good as a properly trained reptile vet , but better than a general practice vet.

If you use this handy search from the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
you might just locate a handy reptile vet closer than you think.

ie within 100 miles of Stevens Point WI (chose this place because it is close to the centre of WI and I don't know your address)

I found the following reptile vets

Gerald Bellin (Bellin)
210 Air Park Rd, Marshfield
Wisconsin
715-387-1225

Margaret Orzel
2321 W Wisconsin Ave, Appleton
Wisconsin
920-7394122

You can likely find closer reptile vets in the ARAVs member list search based on your location.
If you can’t find a vet who is comfortable with herps, or is a new graduate, but is willing to see your lizard, be sure to remind them that most diagnostic labs offer a free consultation service with exotic vets who can help them and advise them about the case. This can be invaluable for the vet just starting out with herps or for experienced herp vets just wanting a second opinion on a difficult case.

You might even be able to get the vet to come to your home to do the examination and show you how to administer the antibiotics , I had to give oral antibiotics twice daily and give an IM injection of another antibiotic every few days to Lucky (who was my first rescue and who I rescued from a cat).

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I can't comment on much as my beardie has never been attacked by an animal, but I hope the little guy is okay and heals up soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry this happened!
Definitely let us know how he is doing, whether or not you get him to the vets or not.
If you need help with medication dosing let me know. I hope the vet would help out, with
either prescribing baytril for something like this. You can purchase it online without a
prescription, if needed.
A regular vet would be able to just look him over, but I wouldn't let them prescribe anything,
but merely help with any assessment, etc.

Tracie

SwervesBar

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all the help!!!

Now I know a closer reptile vet to drag him to for any future complications!!! ^^

As an UPDATE:::

I gave the vet a call today and told them the situation, and I'm still waiting for them to call me back. They asked of I'd like to run him in for a dropoff, but because of the temperatures I didn't want him to sit there for idk how long until then get to him just to look him over. I'm trying to keep him less-stressed and nice and warm for his immune system.

On another note;
Last night he was painfully lashing his tail and did NOT like ANYTHING touching it; I don't blame him.

Today? He ate his salad ((rare for him to do)) and had a good handful of roaches, which I'm waiting for him to use the bathroom then I'm sure he'll want more. Other than that he's very alert and full of energy, he just is preferring his lamp today.

As far as his wounds, they look dark like they've scabbed over, and some of theighter ones under his shed have a yellowish tinge to them. He isn't lashing his tail around but instead is using it normally. It isn't stiff and it doesn't seem to bother him. He's been doing a bit of scratching to get his shed off! So far so good!

I've been giving him a warm soak in the morning followed by drying and spritzing his tail, a warm bath in the evening and repeated the process. Still crossing fingers that it goes well! We'll see what the vet has to say!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good so far , glad to hear esp. that he's eating. That's always a good sign. :) BTW, raw honey is about the best antimicrobial you could use on any wound. Not only is it a barrier to bacteria but it promotes tissue granulation + less scarring as well.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SwervesBar":3pf6d5n9 said:
Thank you everyone for all the help!!!

Now I know a closer reptile vet to drag him to for any future complications!!! ^^

As an UPDATE:::

I gave the vet a call today and told them the situation, and I'm still waiting for them to call me back. They asked of I'd like to run him in for a dropoff, but because of the temperatures I didn't want him to sit there for idk how long until then get to him just to look him over. I'm trying to keep him less-stressed and nice and warm for his immune system.

<<< You can't rely on a busy vet to call you back, I'd be pestering them by phone. The longer you wait the worse and harder to treat any systemic infection (in the bloodstream) and tissues surrounding the penetrating wounds will become. This is time critical when a cat attack has occurred and the vet will have known this and should have told you this.
Lizards are very good at hiding it when they are feeling sick.

<<< I strong suggest bloodwork to check the WC count <== indicator of infection and a swab of the injuries
<<< The vet needs to do a sensitivity test to work out the most effect antibiotic/antiviral to use to kill off the infection , the wrong antibiotic/antiviral will do more harm than good.

On another note;
Last night he was painfully lashing his tail and did NOT like ANYTHING touching it; I don't blame him.

Today? He ate his salad ((rare for him to do)) and had a good handful of roaches, which I'm waiting for him to use the bathroom then I'm sure he'll want more. Other than that he's very alert and full of energy, he just is preferring his lamp today.

As far as his wounds, they look dark like they've scabbed over, and some of theighter ones under his shed have a yellowish tinge to them.
(that yellow stuff will be pus).

He isn't lashing his tail around but instead is using it normally. It isn't stiff and it doesn't seem to bother him. He's been doing a bit of scratching to get his shed off! So far so good!

I've been giving him a warm soak in the morning followed by drying and spritzing his tail, a warm bath in the evening and repeated the process. Still crossing fingers that it goes well! We'll see what the vet has to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom