tail rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyj521

Hi! I posted recently about my beardie Mochi, who I think has tail rot. People assured me it was just a stuck shed, but I’m still worried and I think its gotten a bit worse. I’m planning on taking her to a vet hopefully this weekend, I’m just deciding which vet to go to. I was just wondering if it looks like it’s tail rot and if I should expect for her to need amputation or what. I’m just really nervous, I just want her to be okay. Here’s some pictures of her tail. Its black and stiff and from what I’ve read, definitely seems like tail rot, but I don’t know if it’s severe and will maybe fall off on it’s own or if she needs surgery, and I’m just too nervous to wait until she gets to the vet to ask someone about it. I’ve been giving her warm baths every day and soaking it in betadine mix, I think I might’ve accidentally rubbed her too hard on one part of her tail though, and I put neosporin w/o pain reliever on that part, but my boyfriend says he thinks she isn't putting her tail on the ground so I think she must really be in pain :(
98017-8352097440.jpg
98017-4679138791.jpg
98017-7351612863.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It does look like it. Was there a retained shed ? That will have to snipped off , just a little way up from where the dark area ends. Do you have a good vet to do it for you ? If not, you can sterilize scissors + do it yourself. Afterwards you apply neosporin [ the kind without pain relief and some gauze. Honey will work as well but you can't have any insects roaming or hiding in the tank that will eat at the tail wound.

But try to find a reptile vet, the amputation is not difficult or very painful + they do very well atferwards, home the same day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It probably will need to be trimmed off definitely to keep it from getting infected.
You can use some raw, unpasteurized honey for the end also, if you do get the end
cut off.
Are you able to find a vet to help out?
She looks good, overall, very healthy. :D
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

lilyj521

Original Poster
We just got home from the vet. They gave us some Enroflaxicin for her to take orally as an antibiotic. They said hopefully that will fight the infection and the black part will fall off on its own, but if it gets any worse, we should take her in to have it amputated. He also gave us some silver sulfadiazene cream to put on her tail as it heals. I’m really hoping she doesn’t have to have an amputation. Not only would it be scary for her, but it’d be expensive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom