Something is stuck in my bearded dragons vent plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percival

Yesterday night I noticed my breaded dragon was trying to poop but she was struggling thought nothing of it but when u went back to her a couple of hours later she was still straining. I put her in a bath of warmish water for about 20 min her vent seems to be pertruding? I can see something there but it's not passing bathed her twice today she is moving fine but does seem agitated what should I do plz

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that it isn't a prolapse! Are you sure that she is female & not male, with a possible
sperm plug, etc? Can you post some pictures of her just so we can see?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as your type/brand of UVB, supplementations
given, temperatures, etc just so we can be sure everything is all correct?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon this evening?
I was also wondering about egg issues too, has she ever laid any infertile eggs?
Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Percival

Original Poster

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Are you sure it's a female ? I'm wondering if that's a hemipene . So for now , put some honey on it + gently try to push it back in. Don't feed him/her anything [ probably won't eat anyway ] If you can get it in, bathe her in warm water later but apply the honey again afterwards. The honey can draw out the inflammation + help it to reduce so it may go back in. Keep her hydrated and make sure the tank is warm. Can you post pics of the tank + lights ? Do you know what the temps. are ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you don't have honey, soak her in lukewarm sugar water, mix a lot of sugar until it's dissolved, then soak her in it . After that, apply a bit of vaseline.

Percival

Original Poster
Thank u for the replys put her in sugar water and tried to manipulate everything back in its not wking but will keep trying how long would yous suggest before taking her back to the vets?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The vet feels that she is impacted? What could have impacted or blocked her up, what types
of foods, etc does she eat?
I wouldn't give it too long before trying to get her back to the vets. The lactulose is used for
impactions, etc so depending on what is going on it may or may not work.
The raw unpasteurized honey is very helpful, so go ahead & try that first. Is her beard black at
all?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Percival":3udf1c67 said:
Thank u for the replys put her in sugar water and tried to manipulate everything back in its not wking but will keep trying how long would yous suggest before taking her back to the vets?

IMMEDIATELY . If the tissues die you will likely loose her.

This needs to be URGENTLY dealt with by a reptile vet surgeon , it should have been correctly yesterday at the latest . I'm flabbergasted that no one else has here has advised this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They've been to a vet, didn't seem to be much help other than giving Lactulose to try + get the dragon to pass a possible impaction. Tracie already advised going to the vet again but a vet that has more knowledge is needed. Sugar soaks often reduce the swelling but so far has not done so. No need to agitate this owner.

O.P. can you find a reptile vet ? Ask the current vet for a reference.

Percival

Original Poster
Just a quick update on percival she's doing great a friend of ours came and was able to put everything right lol she was so much happier obviously she toileted and is moving great thank u for replys and advice just as a side note we did get her to a vet wen we realised it wasn't going to right itself and took her to a exotic pet shop owner for advice too but thank u all

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Percival":2x0gs2dv said:
Just a quick update on percival she's doing great a friend of ours came and was able to put everything right lol she was so much happier obviously she toileted and is moving great thank u for replys and advice just as a side note we did get her to a vet wen we realised it wasn't going to right itself and took her to a exotic pet shop owner for advice too but thank u all

I strongly suggest if the vet didn't already advise this , nor the experienced helper , NO SOLIDS for a week or two to allow all the solids currently still in her intestines to pass through or be metabolized and to avoid any risk of this happening again while things down below are settling and healing. So sloppy foods for now would be a very good idea.

She might not be so lucky or as easily "fixed" non-surgically next time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good to hear ! I know you [ and she ] are relived. :) And I agree, no solid food for a while and plenty of water. This will keep her from pushing too hard to eliminate. Make sure her basking temp. is 100-105 so she can digest properly.

Hope she stays in good health, post more pics of her some time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom