Bearded Dragon Died Suddenly *Help Please*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljmorrow1234

Hi, my name is Lexi and my bearded dragon and love of my life, Blizz, passed away just 2 days ago. She was 8 years old. She died very suddenly and I can't find anything online leading me to believe it was one thing or another. She lived in a 60-gallon cage. I think I will just get into what happened to her and hopefully, you can help me figure out what happened to her.

She is quite lazy and I often have to wake her up to feed her because of her odd sleep schedule. So the other night at about 10pm, I woke her up so I could give her some super-worms. She had fallen behind her log and I am not sure how long she'd been there but I think maybe it had been two or so days. During the winter months, she sleeps for multiple days at a time so I would wake her up every few days to feed her. When I picked her up, she was still. Her eyes were closed and sunken, and then she was colorless except for her beard and a part of her back which were both totally black and then when I touched the spot on her back, it started flaking off. There was no dirt in her cage or anything so my dad told me it looked like her skin was dying. Also, she had dried blood on the side of her mouth and right after I picked her up, I felt a wet liquid dripping down her beard. She also kept lifting her head and opening her mouth but immediately dropped her head afterward. I ended up deciding to leave her in her cage and check up on her. But when I went back to her cage, her head had fallen over and her eyes were open and her mouth, too. When I picked her up she was stiff and when I flipped her upside down, she didn't do anything.
One thing I forgot to mention is that for nearly 2 years now she has been wheezing when moving or even just being held. My parents told me that I couldn't take her to the vet because there aren't any vets that take care of reptiles around. I know this can possibly mean a Respiratory Infection.
I am getting her cremated and I know it won't fix anything but I really want to know what killed her.
Thanks,
Mom of Blizz <3

ljmorrow1234

Original Poster
Okay, she normally ate superworms and crickets and would refuse to eat vegetables, she enjoyed them as a young beardie but as she got older she stopped taking them. I used to use liquids calcium on her food but she also stopped eating anything with that on it, although even without that she was energetic and seemed healthy.

She also seemed to drink water whenever I refilled it so I don't think she was dehydrated.

She had a Zoo Med Repti Basking Lamp and a red one but I can't remember what it was called. Her cage lights have been off since she died so I can't say the exact temperature. I think last time I checked it was around 80-85 degrees

She also had Eco Carpet Reptile Terrarium Liner.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry your girl passed so suddenly like that. :cry: Unfortunately, the only surefire way to
have a better idea of what caused her death is to do an autopsy.
At 8 years of age, which isn't real old, it could have been egg issues, liver or kidney problems but
other than that I don't know what else could have caused. Could she have gotten into anything
toxic or been bitten by a poisonous spider or insect, etc?

I am very sorry for your loss.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom