Beardy only lay 1 egg and lethargic - Is she egg bound?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcor90

Hello Everyone,

New member here and would REALLY appreciate anyone's advice.

We have an approx. 1 year old beardy. Last week she started frantically digging/went off her food etc so we realised it was probably time for her to lay. She hasn't been in contact with any other beardies so we were sure this was just an infertile cycle. We prepared a laying box for her and left her to do her thing.

The next day we found her outside of the laying box with one egg beside her, she looked a bit uncomfortable so we attempted to move her back into the box but she really didn't want to be disturbed so we left her to it.

That was a 2 days ago and still no more eggs. We have searched through the sand and the rest of the viv, but that was it. One single egg. We have temporarily removed the laying box to give her back some normality and she is eating fine (absolutely ravenous in fact!).

The worries we have, however, are that she seems to be extremely lethargic and not particularly happy. We have given her a few baths but we have also noticed she hasn't done a poo since prior to the egg laying business. Her stomach seems completely normal size, in fact even prior to her laying her stomach didn't get noticeably bigger.

We are utterly confused and a little worried about her, does anyone have any ideas or advice?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they will lay them in batches but if she's acting really lethargic you may want to get her to a vet for a checkup. They can do an ultrasound and check for eggs that aren't developing properly. Egg binding can be quite serious so it's probably worth checking to rule it out since she's acting like she's not feeling well.

Falcor90

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. We woke up this morning to find what was the biggest poo we have ever seen and she seems much much happier. The poo seemed to have what could have been a soft, deformed egg in it. Although we weren't sure if it was just excess of that white stuff which comes out when she poos normally.

I assume that means we are in the clear?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be urate or part of an egg. Keep an eye on her for a week or two but if she's feeling better, that's a good sign!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It is uncommon for only 1 egg to be layed but it does happen. when you checked the lay box, did you dig down deep in the bottom corner ? Sometimes they jam pack a small clutch in so tightly that you can miss if you're not thorough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom