BD newbie mommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinIsram

Hi everyone! Thanks for accepting me to this forum :)
Our baby BD is about 6 weeks old now. It looks like his right wrist is broken and wonky. He is unable to place his hand flat on the ground. I feel like when I watch the videos of baby bd they all look wonky but this just seems to be really awkward. It doesn’t seem to bother him tho.

I’m trying to load a photo but I actually don’t know how...

Do their wrist break easily? Or is this normal? Any thoughts would be helpful!!

Erin

102647-5017579882.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can he use his other limbs? Do you know if he fell? Does he have a hammock? Have you been dusting his feeders with calcium? What kinds of lights does he have?

ErinIsram

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your questions!!
It’s only the right wrist
Both uvb light and basking light for the day (90-110) and ceramic bulb at night (no light just warmth)
He is tiny but I bought him a 40gallon and he loves his hammoc but I’ve read until I’m sure about his wrist to keep eveneything in a smaller tank so he doesn’t have to climb too much Incase he can’t get down to his food or back up to his hammock.
I have been giving him veggies/kale/ pellets and crickets since I’ve had him (2 weeks now) and just starting dusting the crickets over the last couple of days.....

ErinIsram

Original Poster
Hi. I’m not convinced that my beardie has MBD as I feel he has a broken wrist but with that being said.... Does MBD go away or get better if diet is improved?

TIA
Erin

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, sweet little guy ! Sad to say he has MBD, the foot is crooked now and will most likely stay that way. It's good that you're dusting now but it was needed every week, and it's possible that he disn't get calcium at the store either.

Then the other problem is the big tank. A new baby should be in a shorter [ height ] tank to start with to be sure his uvb reaches him without having to climb up too high in case he starts out with any problems.

If the uvb came as a part of a kit it's probably the coil or compact [ in a duel dome ] along with the heat bulb. If so, that does not emit enough uvb at all,so he has no way to absorb any calcium even now. You'll need to order a Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12 or 14 % long tube uvb ASAP. Set him up in a low sided plastic tote like this with the new uvb bulb over top. Here's an example of how I used to set up babies when I bred my dragons :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

Hopefully his other legs won't be affected but it can happen quickly, along with other deformities that are much worse. Best wishes to your little guy !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Erin, I answered on your other thread, he does have MBD. I and others posted a lot there so a mod. might merge these 2 threads you have so you don't get 2 sets of answers.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your little one is having trouble with calcium deficiency at such a young age!
It can definitely improve & hopefully deformities will reverse to some point since he is
very young & still growing.
As suggested, you will most likely need to upgrade your UVB lights. Most of the time, the
kits sold at the stores include the compact/coil lights which in my opinion, are just not strong
enough.
How is his appetite doing?
I am going to merge your two topics just to keep your information together.

Tracie

ErinIsram

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all your responses!!! I’m so sad he has MBD :(((
Thanks for merging the two threads for me :)

His diet is really good but should I be dusting his crickets every day?
Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, a light even coat of calcium supplement should go on the bugs each time you offer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom