Emergency- infection setting in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, to keep things short I adopted a baby beardie on Sunday bc the other beardies were bullying him and he was very tiny.
One of his front legs always seems the tiniest bit bigger, but after coming home from errands I picked him and and saw yellow discoloration sorrounding the leg (sign of infect) I lifted the leg and saw what looked like a cut between the connection from leg to belly. The wound looked like it had been trying to head. The the only thing I’ve done is put some isopropyl alcohol on the wound to try and clean it. I’m currently soaking him in a warm bath.
I’ve got ventrinary balm and also some regular human grade wound balm.
Should I salve it up? I have no lizard vets near us (we have to drive 3 hours to our rabbits one)
Will post pictures, but need some immediate help!
-a very worried beardie mom
102612-3204712696.jpg
102612-2672902402.jpg
102612-8455628166.jpg
Edit*
this bearded baby has been sluggish ever since sunday- not running like a normal one should. would a calcium liquid mix work to try and keep his body going? now that I've seen the cut i suspect his little body has been using all energy to fight that infection, which is why he hasn't been the typical baby beardie. took out all wood and rock in cage to keep minimal friction on the would.

Update edit*
I’ve had school today and was unable to see after him. I am extremely angry. My mother heard from a friend to walk him with warm water and betadine (that’s good) I instead put some right on the wound, then rinsed it after (instead of her idea) she then said “if that lizard dies, it’ll be your fault. I followed her directions and soaked him. He has always been fussy about bathes. Of course he little guy gets the betadine in his eyes :(( I’ve flushed it out with water but his body is trying to flush it out.
The wound seemed to have healed a bit. Thanks for everyone helping. As stated I can’t get to a vet (barley any normal vets around here).
Thanks again

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them.

You can use raw honey on it, one of the best antimicrobials there are. Be sure that there are no loose bugs [ esp. insects ] hiding anywhere in the tank. They come out after dark to eat on any wound.

Summer11005

Original Poster
AHBD":2zf3kvup said:
Can you post pics ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them.

You can use raw honey on it, one of the best antimicrobials there are. Be sure that there are no loose bugs [ esp. insects ] hiding anywhere in the tank. They come out after dark to eat on any wound.
thank you! pictures posted.
My room is known for having ants and fruit flies; the picture im putting in this message is of an oitment ive been using for all my furry animals cuts, and they heal right up ( without the chance of animals chewing)
do you thing this could be better?
102612-3158136695.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh boy, I was afraid that might be yellow fungus. Y.F. is very serious + often deadly even if given proper treatment. You can alternate the ointment you have with a antifungal like Monistat but an oral med. is usually the only cure. Voriconazole is the med. [ not an antibiotic ] If you can get to an experienced reptile vet to get a skin culture to be tested that would be the first step but it looks like classic Y.F.

Summer11005

Original Poster
AHBD":34h03z4d said:
Oh boy, I was afraid that might be yellow fungus. Y.F. is very serious + often deadly even if given proper treatment. You can alternate the ointment you have with a antifungal like Monistat but an oral med. is usually the only cure. Voriconazole is the med. [ not an antibiotic ] If you can get to an experienced reptile vet to get a skin culture to be tested that would be the first step but it looks like classic Y.F.
well lets hope not :(
there are no real vets for reptiles around here. so i guess we can just hope.
currently put some antibiotic (no pain killer) salve on it because the ingredients included bacatrin, when looked up it was an antibacteria. put this on after another warm soak. in about an hour ill wash again and put some honey on it.
I told my family about the infection adn they said "you always get the runt" :') (Theyre right) he never seemed very healthy, and if this does cause him to pass ill know we tried. i would rather die in a home than a pet store anytime.
thank you for giving me your knowledge, and sorry if i sound curt but i think anyone hearing this sorta thing might have the hurt in the stomach that i do. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You weren't being curt at all. And yeah, just keep him as happy as he can be and hope that it does not progress to the worst. Don't bathe him though, water can spread it. Of course if he soils himself you can clean him but put betadine in the water as a disinfectant .

Summer11005

Original Poster
AHBD":19qs5qqx said:
You weren't being curt at all. And yeah, just keep him as happy as he can be and hope that it does not progress to the worst. Don't bathe him though, water can spread it. Of course if he soils himself you can clean him but put betadine in the water as a disinfectant .
He doesn’t seem to care at all haha! Just found him climbing the walls of his cage !
And okay! I will keep baths intermittent and take the water bowl out and spray him for hydration instead.tysm for all your help, and I’ll keep posted but right now he’s got more energy then I’ve seen from him so their may be hopes for the future! :)
Have a good one!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
IF the dragon is infected with YELLOW FUNGUS - this will help you : https://reptile.guide/yellow-fungus-bearded-dragons/

and this
Yellow Fungus Disease in Bearded Dragons

A highly contagious disease occurring in bearded dragons, presenting itself with yellow crusty like sores. There is not a lot known about this disease, but there are possibly two different forms. These seem to either originate from lizards that have been previously treated with antibiotics or those lizards that have come directly in contact with soil.
An article appearing in the December 2006 VHS Monitor investigated this disease thoroughly. After much experimentation the author found that F10 SC at a rate of 8ml per litre sprayed directly on the lizards body between 5 – 15 times per day.

Housing was also treated with F10.

In additions to this, lizards were provided regular access to direct sunlight.
The condition started to clear between 4 – 6 weeks later and the author continued oi treat them for an additional 2 weeks with no recurrence.
from
http://www.walkaboutreptiles.com.au/documents/F10UseinReptiles.doc

and this https://exoticpetvetblog.wordpress.com/tag/yellow-fungus/ using F10 Barrier Ointment .

Information about F10
https://www.f10products.co.za/f10sa/admin_uploads/files/Germicidal%20Barrier%20Ointment%20leaflet.pdf

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one, that is most likely yellow fungus. Do try some monistat or lotrimen cream on it, daily.
Are you going to try & find a vet to do a culture test on it to confirm?
You can also get some probiotics for him, such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz to
help balance out the system, too.
I hope he continues to improve for you.

Tracie

Summer11005

Original Poster
Drache613":3ayzkk0p said:
Hello,

Poor little one, that is most likely yellow fungus. Do try some monistat or lotrimen cream on it, daily.
Are you going to try & find a vet to do a culture test on it to confirm?
You can also get some probiotics for him, such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz to
help balance out the system, too.
I hope he continues to improve for you.

Tracie
Please do see the updat I just posted in the original post.
Trying honey today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom