Swollen dragon cracked skin bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

candodger

Dodger,s left beard is swollen, cracked and bleeding the black growth under his beard fell off and under it was flesh and a slight infection. He has antibiotics but it has grown back he has an appointment Wednesday but to get him though the next two days I need to know if there is anything else I can do.
I have soaked him for two days to soften up un dried skin which scares me because the old skin looks like it’s rotten and his flesh is going to be exposed. I have put triple antibiotic cream on his cracks and lathered him in organic aloe Vera gel which he seems to be getting some relief I have a humidifier going and he’s on a heating blanket under his bulb anything else I can do for him?

I have pic if you need to see

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. Did the vet check to see if the issue is bacterial or fugal? Antibiotics may not be helpful if the issues is fungal.

candodger

Original Poster
The first time he dewormed him cave him meds for bacterial and shots of b and e plus hydrated him.
This Wednesday he’s going to have to do blood work because I am concerned I have a pic but I don’t know how to insert it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about poor Dodger . :( Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

I hope this is not yellow fungus. BTW, raw honey is one of the best antimicrobials you can use. Stop the baths, that will cause further cracking and also the water will have bacteria in it.

candodger

Original Poster
I will stop his bath and I do have organic raw honey but what do know he’s full of triple antibiotic cream an he hates when I touch him he hurts. I do have some older ringers solution left or wash him in alkaline water

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look good at all =(. I'd guess that's quite possibly fungal but I'd have a vet run a skin test. If it does turn out to be fungal then you want to stop antibiotics and move to a combination of topical antifungal cream and oral antifungal meds like Voriconizole.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's really hard to see the extent of the problem area because it's so greasy but the ointment you have on him should help. You can probably bathe him every other day and the next time use betadine in the water [ antiseptic ] and then after he's dry put some raw honey on. Be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank, they will go after his wounds.

Is he active + eating at all ? He looks chunky. :) And a heat pad may be too much extra heat if he's not well, they can burn easily.

candodger

Original Poster
74983-1359082251.jpg
74983-4770846381.jpg
I will make sure to suggest these Wednesday he’s such a good boy and you can see the swelling from the head photo he never complains and he’s a cuddle bug I feel so bad for him

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, he is surely a cuddle -bug. :) Sweet looking guy ! As cooper said, have the vet get a skin sample to test for Y.F. that will need specific meds. mentioned, not antibiotics.

Is your vet a true, experienced reptile vet ? If not they can misdiagnose and give wrong treatment.

candodger

Original Poster
He is but not like the one I had in Arizona. So far he has been good and works with exotics. But I will suggest these things to him thank you. Will up date after Wednesday

candodger

Original Poster
Yes he eats well lots of green veggies and some fruit his fav blueberries
Not much of a worm eater and hates crickets

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does look very sweet. It looks fungal to me,so I hope that the vets tissue sample reveals
exactly what it is. Antibiotics will complicate it & make it worse unfortunately.
That is good to hear his appetite is good & he eats his greens too~!

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom