What's wrong with my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueal92

Hi all,
I'm probably worried over nothing but still I'm concerned about little Jax's beard. For about a week now his beard has two ripple type things down it ( you can see in the picture) they aren't bothering him, they are not lumps as they are soft to touch and push and when he puffs up because he's annoyed I won't let him run under the TV table the lines disappear and it's an even beard. He is well in himself, eating and drinking normally, he is very active still and as curious as ever. He is currently trying to shed his head and beard, normally he's bright orange everywhere but his heads more grey which is what happens with him when he's shedding. I'm still bathing him as normal. He is apparently around 5 to 6 months weighing 162g length 13.5in or 34cm. He's on reptile carpet, temps 30c in cool end sometimes lower and between 40 and 43c in his basking depending on weather and his humidity is always 31%. He has tube lighting for his with 10% and 2% fluorescent lighting and 100w basking. He's currently on dubias small roaches or black size 4 crickets. Occasionally a worm and every day he eats so much salad. He's bathed once a week more if he's shedding. He is on nutrabol and calcium alternating but also wondered how often and how much of each he should be having. At the moment he is on calcium on even date days like the 2nd, 4th, 6th ect and nutrabol on odd date days like 3rd, 5th, 7th ect and I was told the calcium should be on every meal other than when we use the nutrabol using just a small pinch. I'm hoping nothing is wrong and I'm over worrying because he's my world.

I hope someone can help and thank you all for reading and helping
X
101632-9572397447.jpg
101632-5289721689.jpg
101632-5412252336.jpg
101632-7765482994.jpg

My beardie did the same thing while she was shedding! After the shed was all gone her beard went back to normal. I think it’s just because the skin is loose sometimes it gets stuck like that while shedding.

Blueal92

Original Poster
butter9763":36bevoxj said:
My beardie did the same thing while she was shedding! After the shed was all gone her beard went back to normal. I think it’s just because the skin is loose sometimes it gets stuck like that while shedding.

Thank you so much for your reply and your help, he has finally shed it all off yesterday but his skins still the same, my wife thinks it's not as visible but I'm not sure. How long did it take your little ones beard to go back to normal?

Thank you again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Does he appear to be pushing his beard out? I can't tell whether or not he has any skin
on his beard that needs to shed, or, is he all finished?
The tube bulb is mounted on the back of the tank, correct? Can you possibly mount the
tube bulb directly overhead, with a light fixture? I think he would get better UVB exposure
with it being right overhead. Which tube bulb brand are you using, the Reptisun 10?
The Nutrabol is still an all vitamin supplement correct? Since he is growing, he needs
calcium once daily, for at least 3-4 days per week, probably 5 really.
A vitamin needs to be given 1-2 times per week max.
His eating sounds very good, a nice variety for him, too.
What type of thermometer are you using?

Tracie

Blueal92

Original Poster
Drache613":utyshjq6 said:
Hello,

Does he appear to be pushing his beard out? I can't tell whether or not he has any skin
on his beard that needs to shed, or, is he all finished?
The tube bulb is mounted on the back of the tank, correct? Can you possibly mount the
tube bulb directly overhead, with a light fixture? I think he would get better UVB exposure
with it being right overhead. Which tube bulb brand are you using, the Reptisun 10?
The Nutrabol is still an all vitamin supplement correct? Since he is growing, he needs
calcium once daily, for at least 3-4 days per week, probably 5 really.
A vitamin needs to be given 1-2 times per week max.
His eating sounds very good, a nice variety for him, too.
What type of thermometer are you using?

Tracie

Hi thanks for the response,
His bearded went that way just before his last head and beard shed a couple of days ago, when I took that photo he hadn't shed or had any flakes but a day or two later he did, after 8t was all off his beard remained the same.
The tubes are mounted over head it was just a dodgy angle but the uvb was at the back on the roof not the one nearer the glass where he spends most of the time when he is in the cage and not with me. We have swapped the natural light and uvb around so hopefully he gets more exposure. He normally would go up to the top shelf on a night under the uvb until the lights would go out. I am using a reptisun 10 tube uvb lighting for him.
I was told by the reptile place where we get him is everything needs calcium on it so salad and bugs and every 2nd day use the vitamin on bugs but still use the calcium on the salad.

I have been however just putting calcium on 1 portion of his salad as he always from day one has eating at least 2 to 3 bowls of salad a day. Then every second day using the vitamin so Mondays calcium, Tuesdays vitamin, Wednesday calcium, Thursday vitamin and so on.
Is this correct or do I need to cut down what they have told me to do? I have always had adult bearded dragons never a baby so it's all new to me.
I use all digital thermometer for cool end, basking and a multi digital thermometer and humidity thermometer in the middle of his cage to keep an eye on things.

Thank you for helping I'm kinda scared I'm going to mess him up

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
He only needs the vitamins twice a week max for sure. I did once a week. Every second day is too much - too much of a good thing can be bad too. The calcium needs to be more than every second day and should just be used to dust the bugs only , not the salad, dusted lightly on bugs , 5 days of the week until he is a adult.
Also the calcium and multivitamins shouldn’t be the same to get best effects. Easiest way I found to remember was to do calcium weekdays, Saturday vitamins then have Sunday without

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom