Have a bearded dragon who has a eye infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon lerroy has a eye infection the vet says he is healthy otherwise he needs a byopsy but I can't afford it right now but my question is I live in north California he went into what I think is brumation a month ago he is still going to the bathroom and moving around the tank so he is alive. I was wondering how long can this go on? And should I turn his uvb light or any of his lights on? I do have a 60w night lamp on because it gets cold in my house I just don't want him getting sick I read I shouldn't put any of his lamps on till he comes out of brumation I'm scared he will never wake up. Has anyone had a bearded dragon go in brumation for months? I'm not sure what to do please any help will be appreciated.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Did the vet give you anything for any antibiotic for the infection- that goes need to be taken care of. As for the biopsy - I don’t know why you’d need a biopsy on an infection. But please do the antibiotics - reptiles are slow to heal infections.
As for brumation this site has great care sheets on brumatuon - my dragon goes into a light brumation where he’s extra sleepy and doesn’t want yo to much ... but he moves and poops - so I keep the lights on exactly how I always have them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, he needs some eye ointment. Terramycin can be used but another excellent antimicrobial is raw honey. Mix it with 2 parts warm water + drop in the eyes twice a day. Worked wonders on a swollen infected eye years ago for one of my beardies an another that had a cut on his eye from scratching when he was shedding. Is the biopsy for something else ? Is there a growth on his eye ?

Can you post pics of him ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

KakashiandLerroy

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the reply I have tried that medication the vet also gave me drops but nothing worked he is in brumation now so I can't do anything till he wakes up I heard bad stories about interrupting them while they are in this state isn't a good idea. The vet thinks it's cancer because nothing he did helped but the only thing he can do now is a byopsy because he took blood and found nothing but the eye is so crusted shut and swollen he can't get a look into the eye to see what's going on that's why he wants to do a byopsy. I understand they heal slowly but this has been a long sad journey with his eye like this. I tried opening a gofund me for help for more medicine or the byopsy but of course because of people taking advantage of this program Noone wants to help. His eye has a bump under it and is real swollen that's why he wants to do the byopsy to see is its cancer because he is so old I will try to post images soon as I can Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope he can be helped. It would definitely be best to get all his lights back on + proper heat so he comes out of brumation.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it is time to bring him out of brumation right now. As suggested, go ahead & get his
lights turned on & adjust his temperatures properly.
If it is a tumor of his eye area, that is possible it could be taken care of early enough to try &
save him. Have you considered Care Credit to try & see if you can get some medical care that
way?

Tracie

KakashiandLerroy

Original Poster
]Update he is worst I opened a go fund me but not one person even could give 1$ he needs surgery but instead he is not eating and is losing soooo much weight I can see his bones I cry everyday because I can't afford to get him healed how can people not help with just a dollar to save a animal I put so mich money on his medical bills already but the biopsy and surgery is impossible it's sad I have to watch him die. I will leave aonk to his GoFundMe if anyone has a heart to donate God bless! ♥ https://www.gofundme.com/SaveLerroyJenkinsLife

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry things are not going well. Where did you post the gofundme at?
Have you looked into care credit also, through the vets?
What treatment are you doing on him right now, have you tried antibiotic eye ointment or the
raw honey for him?
Since he has lost a lot of weight, you will need to start trying to get some nutrition into him by
using a plastic syringe or dropper to feed him. Have you tried that yet?
I am not sure why they feel the need to do a biopsy, did the vet explain why exactly? I am not
sure what the cause of the eye infection is but if there is no abscess involved, I would think he
should be able to get it cleared up by using topical treatments, at least.
Personally, I would try to find another vet, to get a second opinion.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom