Have a bearded dragon who has a eye infection

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Have a bearded dragon who has a eye infection

Postby KakashiandLerroy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:12 pm

My bearded dragon lerroy has a eye infection the vet says he is healthy otherwise he needs a byopsy but I can't afford it right now but my question is I live in north California he went into what I think is brumation a month ago he is still going to the bathroom and moving around the tank so he is alive. I was wondering how long can this go on? And should I turn his uvb light or any of his lights on? I do have a 60w night lamp on because it gets cold in my house I just don't want him getting sick I read I shouldn't put any of his lamps on till he comes out of brumation I'm scared he will never wake up. Has anyone had a bearded dragon go in brumation for months? I'm not sure what to do please any help will be appreciated.
KakashiandLerroy
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Have a bearded dragon who has a eye infection

Postby KevinsMom33 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Did the vet give you anything for any antibiotic for the infection- that goes need to be taken care of. As for the biopsy - I don’t know why you’d need a biopsy on an infection. But please do the antibiotics - reptiles are slow to heal infections.
As for brumation this site has great care sheets on brumatuon - my dragon goes into a light brumation where he’s extra sleepy and doesn’t want yo to much ... but he moves and poops - so I keep the lights on exactly how I always have them.
Irene's house of dragons... and cats....
KevinsMom33
Hatchling Poster

Postby AHBD » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:38 pm

I agree, he needs some eye ointment. Terramycin can be used but another excellent antimicrobial is raw honey. Mix it with 2 parts warm water + drop in the eyes twice a day. Worked wonders on a swollen infected eye years ago for one of my beardies an another that had a cut on his eye from scratching when he was shedding. Is the biopsy for something else ? Is there a growth on his eye ?

Can you post pics of him ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby KakashiandLerroy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi thanks for the reply I have tried that medication the vet also gave me drops but nothing worked he is in brumation now so I can't do anything till he wakes up I heard bad stories about interrupting them while they are in this state isn't a good idea. The vet thinks it's cancer because nothing he did helped but the only thing he can do now is a byopsy because he took blood and found nothing but the eye is so crusted shut and swollen he can't get a look into the eye to see what's going on that's why he wants to do a byopsy. I understand they heal slowly but this has been a long sad journey with his eye like this. I tried opening a gofund me for help for more medicine or the byopsy but of course because of people taking advantage of this program Noone wants to help. His eye has a bump under it and is real swollen that's why he wants to do the byopsy to see is its cancer because he is so old I will try to post images soon as I can Thanks
KakashiandLerroy
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope he can be helped. It would definitely be best to get all his lights back on + proper heat so he comes out of brumation.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Hello,

I agree, it is time to bring him out of brumation right now. As suggested, go ahead & get his
lights turned on & adjust his temperatures properly.
If it is a tumor of his eye area, that is possible it could be taken care of early enough to try &
save him. Have you considered Care Credit to try & see if you can get some medical care that
way?

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER