Coughing and slight wheezing after taking medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, I know I've been posting here a lot. Being a first time dragon owner everything just worries me. Just need a bit of help or advice here - I gave toothless his medicine in the syringe tonight, as I was squeezing it in his mouth from the side as directed he jerked a bit and it cause me to shoot the rest of the meds in there at full force :( he coughed for a few minutes. I filled the syringe with water and slowly squirted it in his mouth and he drank it and the cough seemed to cool down. He isn't coughing now that I can see but breathing kind of hard and it sounds like tiny wheezing noises are coming out of him if I have him right next to my ear every so often. No black beard and went to eating right away after the meds. Should I be worried or did he just swallow the meds kinda wrong? Two hours later now hes sleeping in his hammock under the heater that's at 80 degrees. Every so often there is a little noise that sounds like a wheeze if I listen but you really have to be listening and it isn't constant...I called the 24 hour vet and they asked if he was still coughing I told them no hes sleeping, also that I gave him water right after and the coughing stopped. She said to keep an eye on him but I'm kind of concerned. This has never happened. The vet warned me when they gave me the meds to be careful and not shoot it directly at their throat. It was a total accident and I am super worried.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, I am sorry this happened. Accidents occur frequently when dealing with reptiles
unfortunately. He should be fine, but as a precaution, I would bump up his nighttime temperatures
to around 78-80 to help boost his immune system. You can also place him on a slight decline to
sleep, in case he has any fluids that need to drain out.
During the day, you can also increase his basking temperatures a few degrees, too.
Just keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't start exhibiting respiratory distress types of symptoms
or show illness.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom