Stunted growth? Messed up foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my beardie is about 2 years old and is in a 40 gallon tank with a basking spot and a UVB. He is 12 inches and pretty small. He just got upgraded to a 40 gallon just yesterday. When he was little he was not taken care of properly. He did not have a UVB light for a little while and he has been in a 20 gallon for quite some time now. I am wondering if him being in a 20 for a long time has stunted his growth. Will he grow anymore? Should I feed him extra fat building food? Another concern I have is that his little hand is twisted a weird way. It doesn’t seem to bother him but is there any way to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MollyMoo98

My baby girl was in the same vote for the uvb light. Feeding him proper food and giving him UVB should help him grow. Mine deff started growing a lot once she got healthy. You will probably see him peel a decent amount in a row due to changing size quickly so make sure you bath him to keep him comfortable. Overall he should grow :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that at 2 years old he is probably full length, but he may develop muscle mass and fat deposits with proper nutrition and lighting. I wouldn't push bugs or fat in his diet, especially if he is not used to it. At his age, focus on hydration and offering a variety of veges. Offer little bits of protein/bugs at a time but most of his diet should be a good variety of greens/veges. It's important that he has access to high quality UVB and has a good temperature gradient across his tank as well. I think just a combination of good lighting and healthy balanced diet will help him thrive.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he is probably mostly full grown at his age. They can fill out & add some length at ages
over 2 though. Good nutrition & UVB lighting will help to optimize any chances that he may have
to finish any growing.
Some pictures of his tank setup along with some of him would be great, also. Let us know how he
is doing.

Tracie

Mishbenz

Leetheleezard1215":nijbfdlb said:
Hi, my beardie is about 2 years old and is in a 40 gallon tank with a basking spot and a UVB. He is 12 inches and pretty small. He just got upgraded to a 40 gallon just yesterday. When he was little he was not taken care of properly. He did not have a UVB light for a little while and he has been in tte some time now. I am wondering if him being in a 20 for a long time has stunted his growth. Will he grow anymore? Should I feed him extra fat building food? Another concern I have is that his little hand is twisted a weird way. It doesn’t seem to bother him but is there any way to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Sounds like he has a bit of MBD to me when you describe how he was kept before you got him. Proper UVB is a MUST HAVE in this case especially. Proper UVB is a must for every dragon.

I always recommend the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or the Arcadia 12%D3 linear tube type fixture and bulb. Be aware that when buying the Reptisun T5 fixture, they come with a 5.0 which is not strong enough for dragons. You will have to order the 10.0 bulb to go with the fixture, when you order.

It IS possible that he will grow a bit more but don't expect full size. Just love him and, do the best you can for him.....He will love you back!!!!

Leetheleezard1215

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies! I will definitely keep feeding him veggies and I have also been putting calcium in his food which has seemed to make a change in his foot.Right now he’s eating his greens and is doing very well. Thanks again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news you are seeing improvement in his foot already, that's great!
Are you going to be able to upgrade to a new UVB for him also? I hope so, that would really
help out a lot for him. At least he is eating his greens, too. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom