A bit of blood after poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
My beardie pooped like normal in the bath and as soon as the last piece came out a little bit of blood did as well. I picked her up after pooping and she was still a little pushed out. Her poop looked normal with no blood.
I scooped it up and am bringing it to the vet tomorrow but I am really really worried.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Has this happened before?
Sometimes hard urates can cause a little bit of blood, or a heavy worm or parasite issue, too.
Do you have loose or solid substrate in her tank?
A fecal exam as you are planning to do, is a good idea just to be sure she doesn't have a heavy
load of coccidia, or worms.
Please review your tank setup with us, such as your supplementation, temperatures, type/brand of
UVB lighting, foods given, etc so we can be sure it is all correct.
Let us know how that turns out.

Tracie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1d5wh678 said:
Hello,

Has this happened before?
Sometimes hard urates can cause a little bit of blood, or a heavy worm or parasite issue, too.
Do you have loose or solid substrate in her tank?
A fecal exam as you are planning to do, is a good idea just to be sure she doesn't have a heavy
load of coccidia, or worms.
Please review your tank setup with us, such as your supplementation, temperatures, type/brand of
UVB lighting, foods given, etc so we can be sure it is all correct.
Let us know how that turns out.

Tracie

I turned the fecal sample In and they told me she has coccidia. I get meds on Monday. I’m still very unsure of how to clean everything.
She is in a 40 gal tank, reptile carpet, she has a wooden hide and a giant piece of wood. She eats arugula and super worms.
Can they get it from superworms?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As far as I know, superworms should not be the culprit for carrying coccidia. Did the vet
say what the levels were? Which meds are you picking up?
As far as cleaning, you can take all decor out & soak it in hot, soapy water. Wood items that
can be baked in the oven, you can bake for 30 or so minutes at 350. For now, use cardboard
boxes, etc for basking areas, along with paper towels so you can easily replace them.
You can get a steamer to clean the tank also. Bleach diluted to a 1% solution is effective but
you absolutely have to be sure you get all residue rinsed. If you steam it & use a vinegar & water
solution or an F10 solution that is very effective, too.
Which UVB are you using?

How is your girl doing today?

Tracie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":28cdo0fs said:
Hello,

As far as I know, superworms should not be the culprit for carrying coccidia. Did the vet
say what the levels were? Which meds are you picking up?
As far as cleaning, you can take all decor out & soak it in hot, soapy water. Wood items that
can be baked in the oven, you can bake for 30 or so minutes at 350. For now, use cardboard
boxes, etc for basking areas, along with paper towels so you can easily replace them.
You can get a steamer to clean the tank also. Bleach diluted to a 1% solution is effective but
you absolutely have to be sure you get all residue rinsed. If you steam it & use a vinegar & water
solution or an F10 solution that is very effective, too.
Which UVB are you using?

How is your girl doing today?

Tracie

She didn’t tell me the levels or what the meds were called. I’ll ask her on Monday when I go in.
Would the wipe out solution from petsmart work?
I’ll have to buy some boxes for her to bask and hide in.
She going to be stressed out for a bit I assume? :/ she didn’t like me moving her stuff last time I tried to.

I have a zilla t8 uvb. The reptile store recommended it. I did learn they might not be the best. I am working on getting her a better one.

She actually has been a lot less lethargic today. I’ve the past few weeks she’s only wanted to be in her cold side but today she’s basked a lot and was really active when she was out. She’s eating fine as well. She really hasn’t had any symptoms except occasionally being lethargic and the blood the other day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good. The wipe out should take care of the cleaning, especially if it is alcohol
based. Boxes to bask on & play & hide in are fine for right now, until you get the levels down.
Yes, the Zilla tube bulbs are not real good, no. They don't really emit all that much UVB. Are
you getting a Reptisun or an Arcadia?
She may be a little stressed about the tank decor changes but hopefully she will adjust to it
quickly & soon you can go back to her old tank setup.
Maybe her activity will pick up soon. The days are starting to lengthen out even though it's still
cold outside, a lot of the dragons should start to come out of brumation phases soon.
Have you been able to get any fluids into her? Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":bboq292w said:
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good. The wipe out should take care of the cleaning, especially if it is alcohol
based. Boxes to bask on & play & hide in are fine for right now, until you get the levels down.
Yes, the Zilla tube bulbs are not real good, no. They don't really emit all that much UVB. Are
you getting a Reptisun or an Arcadia?
She may be a little stressed about the tank decor changes but hopefully she will adjust to it
quickly & soon you can go back to her old tank setup.
Maybe her activity will pick up soon. The days are starting to lengthen out even though it's still
cold outside, a lot of the dragons should start to come out of brumation phases soon.
Have you been able to get any fluids into her? Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

I bought her some plastic tank items. I’m just going to clean them every morning.
I was planning to get a repti sun. I keep seeing that as a recommended uvb.
Her activity is definitely going up. She’s actually basking now lol as soon as winter hit she had no interest in basking but the last week she’s made more of an effort.
As far as fluids I drip water on her nose and let her drink that every other day and give her baths on the days she doesn’t have that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good she seems to be a little more active right now.
Yes, the Reptisun 10T5 is a great bulb for the UVB. Or were you referring to the T8, the older
model one? That one is also a good bulb, just not quite as strong as the T5 is.
Ok, good. If she will drink water off of her snout when you drop it onto her nose that will really
help out her hydration then.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom