Lethargic after a chill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cimorene

Hello friends. We have a young adult bearded dragon who I believe to be about 13 months old, and we've had him for about half his life. His behavior has changed significantly and I'm seeking some reassurance since this is his first winter with us.

The change started when he experienced a chill. About a month ago, our power was out for four days. We took our beardie to a hotel with us to protect him from freezing temperatures but did not take his light setup (because we believed the power would be back on any minute...). He dozed in his carrier, and has continued to be lethargic after returning home to his normal routine.

He is not sleeping now, just not moving around much, and not climbing up to his basking spot. His colors are normal and his beard is light. His appetite has drastically decreased. We are still offering food daily but he's been on a complete strike from veggies, only taking occasional insects (calcium dusted, medium dubia roaches). It's been two weeks since he last pooped. We've tried warm baths and a drop of olive oil on his feeders without results.

Is this normal brumation behavior? Should I continue trying to get him to poop, or let him alone to rest?

Thank you so much for any and all replies. :D

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
That sounds like brumation to me. Mine is just a little older & was lethargic, not eating, drinking, or basking in the lead up to it. He eventually went into his hide for 2 days of solid napping and is alternately sleeping and getting up now, but won't eat and has barely taken a drink in several weeks. When he is up, he's groggy and uninterested in food, but otherwise seems fine. Of course we freaked out like good beardie parents do, but a few of the good folks here who are familiar with brumation behavior assured me everything was okay, so we're just monitoring his weight now when he gets up. It could very well be that exposure to the cold and shorter days (assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere) triggered the innate urge to hibernate.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Sounds like brumation to me as well. Just about the same symptoms as my beardie. If you do want to get your little one to go to the bathroom, I've learned that hornworms work the best. Tampico scarfs them down and voila, she'd finally go. Just make sure the enclosure doesn't get below 65 degrees at night and the humidity in the tank is at a good level (30-40%). I've recently turned off all lights in Tampico's tank as she goes on day 5 of solid napping. Her tank tends to get humid, so I have to put a small heater to control the humidity, but other than that you just gotta let your little guy do his thing. Weighing them while they're brumating is also I very good thing to do. They shouldn't be losing too much weight since their bodies are essentially slowing down exponentially.

Cimorene

Original Poster
Thank you both so much! My previous experience was with turtles that fully hibernated so this has been a new experience. I'll monitor his weight and let him relax :D

Cimorene

Original Poster
I wanted to return with an update! Our dragon is now back to his usual sassy self. We stopped poking at him so much and let him sleep when he wanted to. As soon as he returned to normal basking activity we ordered a hornworm feast and that's gotten poops back on the regular schedule. Thank you all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom