Prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at my cousins house, where my young cousin has a beardie. The beardie is severely underweight, but I've been talking and coaching her.

A few months back, her beardie had a prolapse. They took her to the vet and she had a surgery, and it was fixed.

Right now, something is coming out of her butt. It's brown, white and yellowish and looks dried. I'll attach some pictures. I'm not sure what it is or what to do, we haven't pulled it out.

95215-423755940.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is hard to tell whether or not this is a prolapse, but it is more likely to be a sperm plug with
dried feces on it perhaps.
Can you get another picture, how is the dragon doing now?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-treat-a-prolapse-in-a-bearded-dragon , V-important to assume the worse case here and treat it accordingly .

Call your vet right away! If action is not taken quickly, the organ can die, which can kill your beardie.
If it's a prolapse, a cool sugar water bath would help get the swelling down but that's if it's done immediately when it happens.
En route to the vet, keep your beardie on paper towels and keep the tissue moist with water-soluble KY jelly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, hope it's not that ! The dragon looks more like a male. And is that a piece of suture or something else [ the blue thread ] Can you get a better picture of it ? If there is any red tissue at all , vet is needed if it hasn't gone back in. Use the ky or even better yet , raw honey. It can help reduce the swelling and is also an antimicrobial.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Were you able to get more pictures for us?
I hope he is going to be alright. Do get some treatment if it doesn't improve, & find a vet.
As suggested, raw unpasteurized honey or KY jelly can help keep the area moist in case
it is a prolapse.
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
I agree that it looks more like a Male, I voiced this to my cousin. The string is stitches from the prolapse a while back, there was a surgery.

The beardie is only 9 months old (according to my cousin, but I don't know for sure. I think he's older than that). Can they develop sperm plugs that young? After looking at it I am almost positive it is a sperm plug, seeing it was nervewracking, my girl hasn't had anything weird coming out of her.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Please don't muck about or delay getting this dragon to a vet. This is URGENT and a vet emergency.

If the prolapse is not retracted ( or repaired surgically ) and becomes necrotic or infected, this will be VERY BAD and the dragon will likely die.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, they can develop sperm plugs at that age. It could also be just a urate plug too but it looks
more like a sperm plug. Have you talked to him again, how is he doing?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have a friend who has a dragon that's had a series of prolapses over the last few years , unfortunately unless the vet surgically fixes the prolapse , and even after surgical intervention, once a reptile has suffered a prolapse , they are prone to prolapses from then on.

is it you or your vet who is saying its "not a prolapse" ?
If not , what does the vet think the issue is ? and what is the plan to fix / heal it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom