Does my beardie look dehydrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rony

(I know he has mbd, he’s under treatment)
Pd: I have recently been doing some changes in my beardies tank (I have changed the substrate & lighting) is it normal that due to these changes, he’s eating less?
(He’s active & energetic)
95146-6775967874.jpg
95146-1314240545.jpg

Sixxx

How are his urates and what kind of greens/insects are you feeding him? His skin looks very loose but I wouldn't test dehydration for that. Try to pinch his side and see if his skin goes back into place very quickly.

From your description, I'm guessing that he's probably acting lethargic as well as no appetite. These are symptoms of dehydration, but your best bet is to see if their urates are rock hard.

Rony

Original Poster
Sixxx":15foj7jt said:
How are his urates and what kind of greens/insects are you feeding him? His skin looks very loose but I wouldn't test dehydration for that. Try to pinch his side and see if his skin goes back into place very quickly.

From your description, I'm guessing that he's probably acting lethargic as well as no appetite. These are symptoms of dehydration, but your best bet is to see if their urates are rock hard.

He isn’t acting lethargic at all, that’s good I guess. I usually feed him dubia roaches, crickets and superpowers (the supers are only a few times a week). About the greens, I usually feed him collard greens, squash (of any type) and sometimes dandelion, although I’m trying to find some other veggies to feed. About his stools, I usually find a well hydrated poop, although the white part is half white half yellow, apart from that it looks good. I’ve tried to pinch his skin but it really depends on his posture, if his belly is up it won’t go back very quickly, if it’s down it will. So does this all have to do with the changes I made in his tank (loss of appetite)?

Sixxx

Seems like he has a very diverse taste! I think your wide array of food is very beneficial for him and will definitely help him in the longer run. Regards to being active, what light source did you change for him, what are the temperatures, and how recently was he looking like that? Not all bearded dragon's have the same reactions when it has their environments changed. I personally think that your beardie is fine if his temperatures and feed are optimum and assume that the appetite might just be relocation stress. I'm not sure whether this information is valid, but if you pinch the base of his tail and feels sturdy, he's completely healthy. Offer a syringe (no needles) with water and see if he'll drink from it. Other than that, check up on the next few days if he still looks as he does or eats little. Merry Christmas!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, I hope he recovers from metabolic bone disease. Are you using a good UVB light for
him?
When changing the tank up, if things are a lot different that can affect their behavior, yes. I am sure
he will get back to normal pretty soon. He doesn't really look dehydrated, but a little extra oral
hydration wouldn't hurt. Does he lick anything off of his snout?

Tracie

Rony

Original Poster
Drache613":1cgmvybk said:
Hello,

Bless him, I hope he recovers from metabolic bone disease. Are you using a good UVB light for
him?
When changing the tank up, if things are a lot different that can affect their behavior, yes. I am sure
he will get back to normal pretty soon. He doesn't really look dehydrated, but a little extra oral
hydration wouldn't hurt. Does he lick anything off of his snout?

Tracie

Im also witnessing another strange behaviour, which I think is a serious one. The uvb bulb is an exo Terra 125 watt solar glo. Since I changed the bulb to this one, he keeps the eye which is facing to the light closed. I don’t know if the problem is that the light is too bright, but I think it’s something to be concerned about. Since I changed his uvb he is much active and energetic, but this behaviour has me concerned.

I daily drop some drops of water on his snoot, which he would then lick. His poop looks kind of dehydrated... today’s poop was brown and the white part was 1/3 orange 1/3 yellow and 1/3 white. I at least have some good news... his appetite increased a bit today, he would normally eat 3 crickets. Today he ate 1 dubia, 1 superworm and 2 crickets (he doesn’t have any interest in veggies at all).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is interesting with the eye closing behavior.
Usually the Exoterra Solarglo is pretty good & is nice & bright. Since it's 125 watts, it shouldn't
be any closer than 10-12 inches to him. How close is it mounted to him?
That's great he will take water off of his snout so he will hopefully stay well hydrated that way.
It sounds like his appetite has increased which is an improvement.
Post some pictures of your light placement for us when you get a chance.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Rony

Original Poster
Drache613":2uz3e1b2 said:
Hello,

That is interesting with the eye closing behavior.
Usually the Exoterra Solarglo is pretty good & is nice & bright. Since it's 125 watts, it shouldn't
be any closer than 10-12 inches to him. How close is it mounted to him?
That's great he will take water off of his snout so he will hopefully stay well hydrated that way.
It sounds like his appetite has increased which is an improvement.
Post some pictures of your light placement for us when you get a chance.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

I will upload some images in a couple of hours.
The bulb was 30cm away from him, now its 47cm. It seems like his appetite is the same. Now he cant see his food, even if i put it in front of his eyes. I know he's a bit hungry, but its just so difficult for him to actually see his food. He now has a superworm addiction... I have to trick him with the superworms so that he can actually eat his healthy food, but mostly what happens is, he wants the superworm, i change it to the healthy food, and he acts like if there was no food at all. What also happens is, I try to guide his eyes to the food, but he always freaks out and runs away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom