Abnormal urate/white hard mass in stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra213

So Torrin was put on panacur suspension 10% for chronic pinworm issues. He had been eating fine, a little groggy but I figured that may have been brumation, but didn't use the bathroom for 6 days, which is not normal for him.
Today (day 7) after his 3rd hot water soak he went. When he did he rocketed out this 2 inch long by almost 1/4 inch wide white mass I'm assuming is a urate crystal. He is on paper towel right now while we get his pinworms under control so i was worried it was paper towel but it was firm like a rock and broke in chunks.
My concern is just how firm it was, I believe that was the cause of his blockage. Is that normal for a beardie who hasn't went to the bathroom or could this be symptomatic of some kidney issues?
Little background with Torrin, he's almost 11 months. We're assuming male based on behaviors but the vet still hasn't been able to determine definitively. He's comes out regularly every day to run around and usually quite active. Diet is mostly greens and veggies, his protein comes from crickets, mealworms and the very occasional hornworm(usually one or two for the holidays depending on size)

Sixxx

How does your dragon normally get his hydration from? Your live insects are very loaded with hydration so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Try and see if his next few poops have the same hard urates, which would most likely be from dehydration. If he has a stinky but loose stool and hard urates, it's probably parasites. If anything I have mentioned does not apply, see how you are feeding your calcium. He may be getting a little too much or his UVB is inefficient in his digestion.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That definitely sounds like a hard urate which came out. This can happen with too much calcium
supplementation, or dehydration.
How much panacur has he been given thus far?
You could increase his oral fluids some, to help out. Also, you can consider giving him some
probiotics to help out with his digestion also for awhile.

Tracie

Terra213

Original Poster
So he was given one dose of panacur suspension, I don't remember the exact cc but it didn't take up much room in the syringe. My vet was gonna give it 3-4 weeks before rechecking and trying again if needed.
He gets a lot of his moisture from his diet and he gets soaks every 2-3 days unless something comes up and it may get pushed out another day. His crickets are gut fed with flukers calcium quencher and they're dusted once every 2-4 feedings because I was worried about overdoing the calcium.
I'll bump up his soaks more often and see if that helps. Wpuld adding a very small amount of iceberg help? I know it's not nutritionally sound but would the extra moisture help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom