Broken shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buk

Had to take my little guy to the Vets today, noticed he was dragging one of his legs, upon watching him now though it looks like possibly both legs on his left side are broke! Don’t know how it happened, Vet said he probably fell, too small for X-rays, told me to take everything out of enclosure and keep him flat, make sure he’s eating and give water through dropper. I’ve only had him for a month, was trying to do everything right and this happens feel so bad. Any advice on how to best care for him and get him walking again is greatly appreciated

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BS about being too small to xray , all the vet needs to do is place hatchling in xray transparent tub with a lid.

I suggest getting hold of some VETAFARM CALCIVET to help boost his calcium intake.
Direct dose: 0.2mL per 100g body weight given orally by syringe , tastes nice , lizards I've helped / rescued liked it's taste and came to regard it as a daily treat (I would be giving it to them 2 or 3 times per day , so 0.2ml/100g body weight / dose frequency per day).

The good kit is a shown here - recommend 22Gauge SureFlo Catheter (TUBE ONLY) to give CalciVet , I've been using these for nearly 10 years.

This is what they look like disassembled
Sure_Flo_Catheter_disassembled.png

The flexible white Teflon tube is the bit that's useful in administering liquids and oral meds to lizards, the metal needle assembly is disposed off (carefully !! VERY DANGEROUS AND SHARP).
Best to stay with 22G for fluids, is more durable than the larger bore version where the lizard has teeth.

Be careful the dragon doesn't chew pieces of plastic of the end of the plastic tube.
I found the 14G tube very soft and too easily crushed and holed.

I've had success using this
syringe_and_22_G_SUREFLO_CATHETER_TUBE_ONLY.png

to get nasty tasting antbiotics and nice tasting CalciVet into skinks , the trick is to get the plastic tube past the lips and teeth at the back corner of the mouth , not necessary force the mouth open but is a two person job
one person restrains the lizard
the other person slips the catheter tube into mouth and pushes the syringe plunger.

I've also used this kind of setup
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

to get HerpaBoost , VetaFarm Reptile Critta Care and viscous liquid meds into the mouths of lizards, got to get the mouth enough to get the nozzle into the mouth , again a two person job unless the lizard is prepared to lick the paste off it's nose and lips , works well

and for really difficult situations this works and is indestructible and wont hurt the lizard's teeth, gums , jaws or mouth
syringe_and_18_G_medication_-_crop_needle.png

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy. What exact brand of lights do you use ? The proper uvb is very important. Post some pics of the beardie as well as the tank + set up, including the lights. Calcium is very important as well as good strong uvb. Is the little guy still eating ? If he's taking water through a dropper that's good, you can add a pinch of calcium powder to it once a day if he's not eating much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow poor little one. Definitely post some pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup
so we can review everything to be sure it is all setup up properly for him.
I hope he is doing a little better. Make sure you have lowered the basking areas for him so he
can't hurt himself further.

Tracie

Buk

Original Poster
Using a Zoo med 100w basking light, t5 Arcadia 12% uvb
Enclosure is empty at the moment per the vet
102514-746360445.jpg
102514-9812208018.jpg
102514-5817230595.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very sweet little leatherback. :) You have strong uvb light so that's good ! What cage decor was in there before, was there a hammock ? Trying to find out in case it had a part in his problem. He does need a little something in there , even a partially flattened paper towel roll with 1 sheet of paper left on if that he can snuggle up or climb on. It would actually be best to put him in an enclosure with lower sides right now so the uvb can reach him. This is how I raised babies in the past [ I raised dozens + dozens of clutches from the egg ]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

A plastic tote is lower than that huge tank and will allow the uvb to reach him, and he desperately needs that right now. You can just put a rolled up piece of fleece or the paper towel rolled partly flatten like I mentioned. BTW, is he eating anything ? Be sure to hand feed or syringe feed him and don't handle him too much. Can you get bsfl [ Phoenix or Calci worms ? ] for him ? Those are nutritious and slow moving so would be easy to drop them right in front of him and he could get them. With small crickets you could partly disable + drop them near him 102 at a time as well.

Buk

Original Poster
102514-4790234594.jpg
this is what was in there before, he was always on the tall one up top, don’t have a hammock! And because of dogs don’t think I can do a tub on floor, will have to see if I can move some things around so my dogs don’t disturb while I’m at work,

By the way he has hardly moved today, he did eat several small Dubia Roaches last night but nothing as of today yet, won’t take water either, I’m trying to not handle him as was recommended, Vet said his temp needs to be about 85 on warm side and 70 on cool side, why my basking light is so high, I may see if I can maybe mount some hooks in ceiling and lower his uvb light down into cage the screen on top is removable, thank you for all the help

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think he probably jumped while way up high and hurt himself. It's actually best to raise babies in a smaller enclosure for many reasons , much safer.

It's good to hear that he ate, he may just have a severe sprain, possible bruising but eating is a great sign ! Be sure that the bugs are smaller than the space between his eyes for sure or he can become impacted. The basking area should be at least 95-100, not 85. They can't digest food at that temp.

Buk

Original Poster
I just went and got a hefty tote from Lowe’s 64ct size gonna move him into that for now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is definitely very handsome!
I'm glad to hear that he did eat today, but too bad he wasn't very active. He may have some
discomfort possibly but hopefully not too much.
Do try to bump up the basking temperatures to a higher range of 95-110F for him. Let us
know how he is doing.

Tracie

Buk

Original Poster
Have bumped his temperature up, but the more I watch him looking like he is only using one leg to move around, his front right! Hopefully he will pull through, he just rested yesterday. Couldn’t get him to eat or drink. Looking to see where I can get a syringe from locally Incase I have to try and feed that way.

Got him setup in a tub for now, with lights closer, hasn’t pooped the past couple of days either.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like he may be impacted as well. Can you post a picture of the size of the insects he was eating ? And some pics in the new set up ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, I hope he starts doing better. Definitely keep us updated on him, we are all
pulling for him.
Bumping up the temperatures will hopefully help him out.

Tracie

Buk

Original Poster
102514-1594810160.jpg
102514-3195307600.jpg
102514-9365159594.jpg
102514-4428178202.jpg

I had ordered a baby bearded dragon food package from Georgia crickets. So far he only seems interested in Dubai’s, tried a couple different small worms and he bit into them but spit it out right away. Hasn’t eaten in 2 days now. Gave him a warm bath yesterday and he did drink a little water.

He did use the bathroom yesterday day also

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy, he is in pretty critical condition. It's good that he poo'd + drank a bit ! I can tell that those insects are all too large for him sadly. But try this....take a cricket + pull the head off to throw away , rub the body guts lightly on his snout. That will sometimes get the baby to eat . Get some organic baby food like squash + chicken [ no salt or other ingredients.] Just get a syringe or dropper from the drug store to drip the mixture on his snout. Hopefully he'l take some nutrition that way. Hope for the best but be aware that he may not make it. : (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom