Impaction cleared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took in a rescue dragon, approximately a year old that had been fed mostly very small crickets. She was pretty much starving. She has been acting ok since I got her and went to town on good size dubias. She has good lighting and temps. She didnt poop the whole first week i had her so i cut back on dubias and gave her warm baths while massaging her belly. She finally pooped. Well another week goes by with plenty of good veggies and 10 or so dubia a day and she still hadn't pooped. That week I had added repashy grub pie to her meals for a more intestine friendly food.

Well, finally got her to poop again last night but it had a lot of bug pieces, a few veggie pieces and the white part was hard. Was this the rest of an impaction passing? I am planning on only feeding repashy grub pie for protein for a week or so till she starts having more regular bowel movements that look better.

Never had impaction problem so any advise would be great. Otherwise she is alert and healthy. Happy too it seems.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guess is that she is a bit dehydrated and is still getting used to the new diet. I'd make sure the dubias are fed plenty of hydrating foods like squash so they pass that along. You can also drip water on her nose to lick up. Otherwise give her some time to adjust to her new diet. You may want to go easy on protein in general if she isn't used to it. That can sometimes overwhelm their systems. Will she eat veges at all? It may be good to try and offer greens and veges like squash or green beans or bell pepper etc.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
I agree with Cooper -she may be dehydrated and not used to good food yet -go slow with rich foods - I think the Rephashy grub pie is a great idea - her insides may still be a bit sensitive and may need some probiotics too. For hydration use pedialyte or organic coconut water. You can always try syringe feeding her organic baby food veggies to help with fluid intake as well as easily digested.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, glad to hear that this beardie is in a good home now. :) The grub pie is a good idea, you might just offer a smaller amount of dubias [ 2-3 a day ] along with it. Plain water is fine, Pedialyte is not really ever necessary for a dragon that is willingly eating + drinking and the ingredients aren't anything the dragon needs.

Can you post some pics of her ? Is her name Garfield ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

GarfieldsMom

Original Poster
Oh no, not Garfield. He's my 5 month old favorite! This one I got because they didn't want to deal with the details of taking care of a dragon correctly. She wasn't in dire shape buthe she wasn't healthy either. I just never had an impacted dragon so wasn't sure.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think she was dehydrated since I recognize those symptoms, I believe this was related to how they were feeding her.they were buying the feeder crickets at pet smart. The ones for babies. At least they were feeding her salad. It appears it was some impaction but I think she cleared it now. Been soaking her in a warm bath at least every other day and last night she had the most normal looking poop in the last three weeks so I believe she will be fine. She's a good happy girl now..Going to keep her on the grub pie for a few days though and add the dubias and superworms back in slowly. May go ahead and get some silkworms for both of them.

Great advice here. I will be reading a lot more. Thanks for helping!

GarfieldsMom

Original Poster
Here is Ava. I renamed her. She's a pretty girl .. about 20 inches long. She's sleeping here. I think she is gonna be just fine.

102427-8775438522.jpg

GarfieldsMom

Original Poster
102427-9378973627.jpg

That's Garfield my fat boy. He lives to eat. Hatched 7/13 and 15 inches long and obviously overeating. I had to put him on limited dubia diet. He poops great lol. Love this guy sooo much. He's an awesome character.

Thanks for your help ya'all.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom