respiratory infection or just paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriLeigh1

My baby has had a respiratory infection before from high humidity and lower basking temperatures. I caught it early and after 5 days of antibiotics she was all better. Since I got her she’s been a gaper, it worried me at first because of how often she did it but I’ve had her for 9 months now and she still does it. But the last few days (mostly in the morning when she wakes up) she’ll take a big breath and I’ll be able to hear when she exhales. I know what the crackling/popping sounds that come with the infection sound like but every once and while she'll chomp down and that sound sound almost identical to the popping sound. So I can’t tell if she’s started getting the infection again or I’m just crazy. She’s eating normally, her temps on her basking side are 98 degrees and the other side stays around 84 degrees. I bought a dehumidifier when she got sick last time to take care of the humidity. If she does have another RI what are some other factors that could cause her to get one?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Some things that cause respiratory infections to start are a compromised immune system, too high
of humidity, loose substrate, improper temperatures.
You could try increasing the temperatures a little bit, to see if that helps out. If another respiratory
infection has developed again, you can try using a nebulizer to treat it. A lot of times, oral meds do
not fully knock it out & they come back.
Has she had a good appetite?

Tracie

BriLeigh1

Original Poster
Drache613":1c1c6ga8 said:
Hello,

Some things that cause respiratory infections to start are a compromised immune system, too high
of humidity, loose substrate, improper temperatures.
You could try increasing the temperatures a little bit, to see if that helps out. If another respiratory
infection has developed again, you can try using a nebulizer to treat it. A lot of times, oral meds do
not fully knock it out & they come back.
Has she had a good appetite?

Tracie

It’s been about 4 months since she was sick and she’s been perfect. She eats like a pig, she gets greens offered every day. Mustard greens, turnip greens, butternut squash I try to mix it up every week so she has a good variety. She still loves her crickets and eats them everyday. And I give her wax worms a couple times a week as a treat she loves them. I know her basking temps are right and I monitor the humidity it stays around 30-40%. I have repti carpet as her substrate. But I remembered I have her a bath about a week ago and she loves the water always splashes around and dunked her head in the water all of a sudden so I immediately pulled her out. She didn’t start to choke or anything but I know that could cause a respiratory infection if she got any water in her lungs so if she starts anymore symptoms I’m gonna take her to the vet

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
It definitely sounds like she has a great appetite right now.
They sure love swimming sometimes & she is probably fine, but maybe for now, go ahead &
keep her tank around 78-80F overnight to boost her metabolism & immune system. It could help
ward off any impending respiratory infection.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom